Kitchen cooker

Range cooker is not a bad alternative if its a good quality product. In my experience very few products are well made and delivery the same quality & performance a built in ovens from a mainstream brand. Typically Mercury, Falcon, Lacanche, Bertazzoni are the better product. Most of the lower priced options are built to a price tag and not really great products.

On 20/05/2019 at 14:57, lizzie said:

Personally I hate range cookers (grew up with an aga)  but it should be the choice of the person who is going to be using the equipment not what fashion dictates.

With you there Lizzie Grew up with Range so seem very old fashioned 

My wife was quite specific 

Two high level Neff ovens 

Induction hob

I quite like the ovens up high in a bank 

At 6”4 I don’t have kneel on the floor to get at the oven Like I did at our previous home 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ryder72 said:

Typically Mercury, Falcon, Lacanche, Bertazzoni are the better product

We have Mercury - very expensive but it cooks fairly evenly.  My brother has Lacanche and it does not cook evenly, the control knobs get really hot and cannot be read and the auto ignite is either missing or broken.

Bertazzoni look fab but are poorly reviewed.

We used to have an Aga in a previous house. It was just crap to cook with - no control at all over the temperature, but at the time they were on trend.

Mercury/Falcon are part of the Rangemaster group and I rate them highly.

I am surprised to hear of Lacanche as they are generally highly rated. Same with Bertazonni. As a retailer we dont generally deal with range cookers but if I had to supply one I would only deal with Mercury and Falcon. Too much headache with the other brands.

I had a range in my last self build, went to eye level and a hob in the cottage which I hated so now back to a range again, both have been belling, last one was still in excellent order when I left it after 9 years so hopefully this one will be as good 

Edited by Christine Walker
  • Like 1

Purely practical response:

1. Separate devices give you an option to upgrade or replace when you like. I understand good quality range cooker will last but will you be happy not having the latest bells and whistles features? Or replace the whole appliance if say an oven breaks down? 

2. I am happy to be corrected but I believe a modern electric hob is very easy to clean. A range cooker will inevitably have tiny gaps on the sides (unless sealed) and regardless the gas hob is always more hassle to clean. 

3. A choice of positions for your ovens: if you do want to put one reasonably high so that you don't need to kneel you can. Not so with a range cooker. 

We have a Britannia dual fuel range (two electric ovens and six LPG rings). Now about 12 years old.

Had two elements warp/break, door seals come loose and a door hinge fail. However all the parts were readily available on the web and not too expensive. So yes I would buy one again.

As I want all-gas and it has to be LPG I get a very limited range of choices...

But I'm sure that Rangemaster/ Leisure/ Belling will all be just fine for us, the current Cannon LPG cooker didn't break the bank and still performs well twenty years on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have a range cooker (gas hob / electric oven) at the moment. It has been a trusty workhorse which has done us well for 15 years but have gone for fan ovens and an induction hob in our new house. In terms of responsiveness, temperature control, features the latter seemed to win on an every score. 

We both wanted a range cooker (rangemaster) but I wanted induction hob and she wanted gas, guess what we ended up with!!!!, and yes I do at least 50% of the cooking ?.

8 hours ago, joe90 said:

We both wanted a range cooker (rangemaster) but I wanted induction hob and she wanted gas, guess what we ended up with!!!!, and yes I do at least 50% of the cooking ?.

I know several die hard gas hob fans who've converted to induction and wouldn't go back.

21 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I know several die hard gas hob fans who've converted to induction and wouldn't go back.

I was converted when I went on a cookery course (not very successful), set the temp and it stayed exactly the temp you set it, no boiling over etc and it’s easy to clean the flat surface.  

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I was converted when I went on a cookery course (not very successful), set the temp and it stayed exactly the temp you set it, no boiling over etc and it’s easy to clean the flat surface.  

Pause function when the phone rings, pulse function to simmer, boost function. I'd say they're MORE controllable than gas.

• Like 2

Had a chat with the head chef of a large local tourist attraction.  His argument about not getting induction hobs was that they would have to buy new pots and pans.

I pointed out that you don't need to buy 'heavy' stuff with an induction hob as energy is spread across the base automatically.

One advantage in commercial catering is that the kitchen temperature is lower when using induction hobs.  This saves a lot of cash on calling out the fridge man.

As for eye level ovens, they are a good way to get burnt.  Top shelf no higher than your waist is the safest.

(I hate health and safety generally, but at work I am a real pain about it, have seen what a hand looks like after it has been in a fryer.  I was commended on my first aid skills though)

My wife hated our induction job for about 3 months Had we not of set it in a very large quarts Island We would have swapped the worktop and gone back to gas 

Six months on she loves it