Evaporation: curing liquid screed - an explanation please.

ToughButterCup

Our liquid floor screed is drying off: all windows and doors open all day - this weather is helping a lot I'm sure.

Someone on BH suggested we put a sheet of plastic on the floor to see  if there was any evaporation: a quick , dirty check. So I have done.

When I remove the plastic sheet, the area covered by it is significantly lighter in colour than the area which has not been covered. 

Why would that be so? Instinct says the opposite might be the case (because there will have been less transpiration / evaporation).

Anyone know why , first thing in the morning the screed is a lighter colour under the sheet than everywhere else?

How long has your screed been down?

Screeds will only dry to the same humidity as the surrounding air so you’ve done the right thing in keeping the windows & doors open during the day. The air temperature in the morning at the moment is still quite low so I suspect that if your screed has now dried as far as it’s going to then your plastic sheet may be protecting it from getting surface dampness in the cold night & early morning air

Edit: the relative humidity of the air inside the partly constructed house with no heating will be a lot higher at night than during the day

Edited by Ian

37 minutes ago, Ian said:

How long has your screed been down?

[...]

A month.

38 minutes ago, Ian said:

[...]

so I suspect that if your screed has now dried as far as it’s going to then your plastic sheet may be protecting it from getting surface dampness in the cold night & early morning air

[...]

Ah ha!

The colour of the floor (away from the plastic)  changes from off-white-ish in the morning to a biscuit / whiteish during the day.  Other areas of the floor, not so well ventilated  (corners, nooks and crannies) are visibly darker, but they too change colour a little during the working day.

Very much more slowly, those out-of-the-direct-breeze areas are changing colours. Hence the need to keep the doors and windows open.

Thanks @Ian

• Like 1