Blue water pipe to outdoor tap

Roz

Hi everyone

Our groundworkers for our utilities are almost done and the water pipe is just outside where our kitchen will be. We're planning on having a building site supply so need to get this pipe ready for a water connection by having it feed into an outdoor tap find to the wall I presume, and we can later go into the property.

Does anyone have any pointers of what I need to do to make this blue pipe into a ready tap?? I don't know where to start.

Tee into a 20/25mm MDPE stub

MDPE to 15mm copper gate valve

15mm pipe

Double check valve

15mm pipe

wall plate elbow

tap

Allows you to isolate the tap in winter and also the DCV meets water regs

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

15mm pipe

Double check valve

15mm pipe

wall plate elbow

tap

thanks peter :)

20 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Oh I've got one made up to STW spec could of lent you but bit far!

Haha thanks anyway!! :)

I came across this diagram about temporary building site supplies. This is from Anglian water and we are South West Water, but might this apply? Our blue pipe is just  sticking up out of the ground and doesnt have any sort of insulation...

images-6.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Haha thanks anyway!! :)

I came across this diagram about temporary building site supplies. This is from Anglian water and we are South West Water, but might this apply? Our blue pipe is just  sticking up out of the ground and doesnt have any sort of insulation...

Anglian Water were OK with my builder's standpipe being commissioned without insulation below ground ground, the surveyor was more concerned about the absence of an above ground insulated box to protect things up to the tap. I never bothered and it survived the winter in Lincolnshire with just regular pipe insulation above ground.

Various seasoned builders and also @JSHarrishere said MDPE pipe is not prone to freezing, worry more about the metal fittings.

p.s. I won't be cutting corners with the insulation of the permanent mains feed into the house.

4 hours ago, Roz said:

I don't know where to start.

It pays to think ahead and plan for intermediate stages during the build.

Mine was a complicated case:

1. Builder stand pipe fitted on post 2 meters inside the boundary fence.
  2. Removed standpipe and routed 22m of MDPE through house foundation tench to static caravan.
  3. Spliced into the static caravan feed to create another temp branch for laundry in garden shed and also an outside water tap on the shed wall for building activities.
  4. Spliced again into the static caravan branch to route another temp branch off to feed the garage before the house is built.

When the house is weather tight and needs water for plumbing testing, while we still live in the static caravan, I will be able to pressurise the house from the garage. 

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

15mm pipe

Double check valve

15mm pipe

wall plate elbow

tap

I would do it all in mdpe, tee down to 20mm, mdpe stop cock and check valve mdpe bib tap adaptor.

mdpe won't get very bothered about freezing, but copper will so if using copper you need a drain cock at the bottom of the standpipe.

• 3 months later...

just sorting the bits for our temp supply, did it all in MDPE but havnt ordered a stop cock as i figured it was only feeding a tap so why would i need a stop cock.  or am i missing something :-) oh our feed is 32mm so i have gone for mdpe 32mm double check valve, mdpe 32mm to 25mm reducer, mdpe 25mm to 3/4" wall plate / tap (with check valve built in)

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Be sure you are aware of just how bendy the blue pipe is .... not a lot. And what that will say for radii of bends etc.

F

Yup - you'll need a right angle elbow to bring it out of the ground.

Stopcock just before that with a section of 110mm waste pipe as an access sleeve is also a good idea as otherwise you need to keep turning off water at mains to service the tap.