DIY stick build advice

redtop

right, completly fed up with mortgage process so decided to self build.  We will rent a workshop to build the timber frame in smalls ections, and then ready take to site and put up.  Any recomendations on best books / guides so i can read up on the details of how you construct the frame elements?  cheers all

There are a lot of US based books but the principle is the same - use standard sizes such as 8x4 boards and make plenty of jigs so everything is exactly the same. 

You can make a larsen truss jig and then use standard timber and a nail gun to put it together.  Get a local timber merchant to cut your sheet material down to say 200mm and then cut the pieces to the lengths you want. 

Your only issue may be building control but if you can get an SE to sign off a design then you build to that. 

Good luck ..!!

if you are looking for a info on timber frame then search for TRADA, they have a book called timber frame construction, you can also find lots of free info online showing typical details etc although these should be specified by your structural engineer, the timber frame for a square box with attic trusses is very simple, but if you start adding split levels, massive glazed walls and "architectural features" it starts getting a bit more complicated and will need to be spec'd correctly

2 hours ago, redtop said:

right, completly fed up with mortgage process so decided to self build.  We will rent a workshop to build the timber frame in smalls ections, and then ready take to site and put up.  Any recomendations on best books / guides so i can read up on the details of how you construct the frame elements?  cheers all

Hi @redtop

Kept a blog for our stick build might be of interest to you. I also had problems with a mortgage and decided to go down this route. I didn't do any of the work myself but had a couple of joiners knock up the panels on site.

Where are you based?

Also US based so less relevant here but this chap and his brother are almost hypnotic to watch. No nail guns here!

cornwall, not so much of a problem in getting the mortgage but cant face the legal fees and having to get a charge on the deeds, not doing it ? We can take 2 or 3 years, and then i can get my hands on my private pension so wont take more than 3 years even paying for it as we go

structural engineer is on board and is well through his task, ground survey done, building regs drawings about ready for submission.  Its on piles which will be raised of the ground due to trees / slope, fortunatly bedrock is 1.8M down so nothing too demanding.  Its 2 story, 162M2 clad in western red ceder and flat green roof

You could do worse than speak to Cullen timber design. They designed our frame which was then CNC cut and delivered to site with assembly instructions. Alternatively they can just do the design and structural calculations then give you a cutting list and assembly layouts.

Good guys to work with.