Boiler help - water dripping from flue

Vijay

I was round a friends today and noticed water dripping from the boiler flue joints. She has no idea how long it's been dripping, but I'd guess for a while judging by the marks on the flue.

It's a Vallient EcoTec pro 28 combi boiler. A quick search suggests it could be the angle of the flue is wrong and it's not draining back, but instead water is accumulating inside the flue and dripping out of the joints.

I can't help thinking the gas safe installer was a bit lazy by not putting the flue straight out the wall, but he's added an extra bend to get round the pipework I'd guess. That could be the issue??

Has anyone come across this before?

Cheers

Vijay

20190517_130406.jpg

20190517_130416.jpg

20190517_130420.jpg

Not sure what she's gonna do to correct it. If she got the flue hole lifted higher, I don't know if there's be enough movement in the pipework to angle up to the new hole

I personally think the right way it should have been done is flue out of the boiler, right angle and straight out the wall. I think the installer should have sorted out the copper pipework properly :(

That install is fine. Is that in a bathroom ..??

it could be that the metal sleeve is condensing steam in the bathroom and that is what you are seeing. Bends tend to be plastic - straight connector is steel. 

What ever happens the flue will need to dismantled and checked by a qualified person. My first port of call would be the guy who fitted it in the 1st place. In the mean time install one of those carbon monoxide alarms close to it. 

I've told her to dig out the paperwork for the installation, she thinks it was 3-4 years ago.

Very good shout with the CM alarm, that never crossed my mind. Just checked and she doesn't have one fitted. I'll get one tomorrow and fit it for her

If the flue is installed running downwards to the outside that is a pretty bad error by the installer, you may possibly get enough play on flue depending on size of hole cored without any major upheaval of lowering boiler etc to reposition flue. But this could be something simple as a seal being nipped or not sitting corectly in the flue but whatever it needs a gas safe guy out.

Edited by Alexphd1