Zoot's Extension- advice needed.

Yes re. the ground slab: I was thinking some floor insulation, but 50mm of *** instead of the usual 100mm. *** is a material extra-good at insulating, trying to find what it was in my book. Any idea/ ring any bells?

Every 50mm is critical so low my house beams/ main room is etc: if the lower room's cramped especially headroom.. I'll kick myself for not pinching any extra inch I could have.

What's the sensible limit going slab -down- do you think? 1 step down is fine (existing plan) but 2 steps ok? bearing in mind I have a 70 yr old digging my trenches, 65 yr old doing the groundwork, both experienced & capable tho (£alot less than my builder's groundwork I'm sure).

@PeterW I read instead of 100mm EPS for under my slab/ floor, an alernative is "50 or 60mm high performance rigid  polyurethane (or polyisocyanurate) now widely used as can reduce overall thickness of floor construction". Any reason I can't go with this?

any problem with my 2 steps down (or maybe 1.5) idea as opposed to the current plan's 1?

No reason for steps down other than beware of flooding - you may want to make it a level entrance and then steps further along the path and put adequate drainage. 

And you can use PIR but it’s twice the price. 

25 minutes ago, PeterW said:

No reason for steps down other than beware of flooding - you may want to make it a level entrance and then steps further along the path and put adequate drainage. 

I was thinking on this too.. if the step down bit will mean water will just pool here & then innevitably go into the room.

Maybe I should try & stick to the original plan/ 1 step & try to get the ceiling down as low as I dare: is there any minimum H the ceiling must be in my lower room do you know? you seem to have a good grasp on BRegs PeterW.. were you previously a BCO?

18 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

you seem to have a good grasp on BRegs PeterW.. were you previously a BCO?

Nope but when I used to deal with council BCOs it pays to know the regs .....

19 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

the step down bit will mean water will just pool here & then innevitably go into the room.

Easily fixed and a slope here is your friend. 

I would move the door  to the “window” end of the room too, should be a non-material amendment and makes it easier to get a decent slope and not have steps near the current house. 

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Nope but when I used to deal with council BCOs it pays to know the regs .....

Easily fixed and a slope here is your friend. 

I would move the door  to the “window” end of the room too, should be a non-material amendment and makes it easier to get a decent slope and not have steps near the current house. 

A slope from the 2nd step down.. away down further you mean? I don't want to move the door from the side below thye single window: its now 4m here width, french windows end's about 4m too.

Any idea on minimum room H restrictions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2019 at 11:24, PeterW said:

Peter, the steps down idea has thrown up a big problem.. if I need a slope-away to do this, its gonna clash with a recently laid electricity cable IN (which I asked to be laid in a dog-leg away & around my build area) which as best I could put it, still approx 2.5m away from front door.

The door must remain in this side, not be pushed to the perpendicular FRwindows' end.

So, I had a 'bingo' idea yesterday to crack this problem.. your thoughts please:

Instead of 2 steps down to + slope dug in-&-away from door.. the steps immediately once -inside- the room instead? I realise there's the potential for water to 'fill the tub', but maybe this can be solved by a big lip &/or a tight-fitting door seal at the lower 1ft or something?

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Instead of 2 steps down to + slope dug in-&-away from door.. the steps immediately once -inside- the room instead? I realise there's the potential for water to 'fill the tub', but maybe this can be solved by a big lip &/or a tight-fitting door seal at the lower 1ft or something?

Can't do that as building regulations do not allow a step immediately inside the doorway. You need a platform minimum 800mm square before the first step. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got (90% of) quote from builder. Gonna be @ very max of my £ means, so I'm having to compromise xyz: so no big balcony. I still want to do, but separate project next year/ once Ext built. A Juliet tw&tty thing instead, as per PP for now.

The only bit still waiting on, is the block outer cladding. My builder said better if his block chap do, under the build's insurance (using the scaffold etc). So another wait for quote- sigh.

Guys: can anyone give me ~a ballpark figure~ of what 50sqM of block cladding might cost?

And do I need a computer drawing program to make a tiny ammendment (add 200mm in Length 'outwards' of extention).. or scribble over the previous plan, or what?

One step closer!! thanks, zoot.

Edited by zoothorn

I just spoke to my PP officer re. tiny ammendments (+20cm to Length, +5cm to Depth) who said "no need to do NMA for, so small etc". Good.

Whilst there, as my balcony idea is still relevant (if maybe not affordable, for now) I repeated my Q as to whether it would need a PP renewal for. I refreshed him with explanation (1m x 3m, elevated timber balcony, steps up) & the reason I ask again to double-check I said, is that I'd been reliably informed by experienced folk on a VG build forum, that I very likely -would- need to redo PP. Of course he no-likey 'build forum advice' etc.

Again he said "no, just a NMA for this" (& are yous lot in his office? oops). So, plan now is to do NMA for my fabulous balcony idea > get extention built > do balcony in my own time. I've a friend in next village who had an outbuilding built 2 yrs ago (a few visible cracks- not the block chap I want then) he's still not clad in stone or in any rush to complete.. so no timeframe rush on the BRegs 'signing off' process it seems.

And once Ext built if I then either can't afford the balcony, or feel idea doesn't "fit".. then so be it I don't need to do it. I can get the build signed at this point leaving it off. It would make sense to have doors open inwards in case of this eventuality of course, the only caveat here afaict.

zoot.

7 hours ago, zoothorn said:

@PeterW or @Onoff (or even @ProDave ).. could any of you guys say what 50sqM of blockwork might cost, a vague/ ballpark figure?

Thanks, zoot

Labour or materials ..?? 

£12/m for materials, £18/m for laying assuming it’s block both skins and ties / insulation needed 

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Labour or materials ..?? 

£12/m for materials, £18/m for laying assuming it’s block both skins and ties / insulation needed 

Hi Peter,

Labour + materials.. its the outer block cladding, over my TF shell extention.

So only £1500? that seems a quarter of what I was envisaging/ albeit me having no clue whatsoever I admit. Be damn great if so! I guerss I need to factor in scaffold ontop.. but if £2k Id be very pleased.

Any idea about accessing my approved Planning documents, in order to do a 'non-material ammendment?' (add balcony to plan). I cant get hold of my 'architectural consultant' (most often abroad as I recall): he did my previous NMA minimising plan to one story, idea now n/a.

Thanks, zoot

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps- family crisis hence awol: back on board & all systems go..

£2k for block cladding (usually £more from my builder, due to best rep): GOOD. Ok so finally the full quote! (inc: VAT, bat survey, archtct fee, PP & BR fees, estimated my electrics, decorating, finishing of).. £31,000. So, I can go with same builder for all aspects, best for both of us. ?

Just 2 more steps until I can give builder the go-ahead. If anyone could lend advice:

• I need to do a non-material-ammendment, myself, just adding the balcony I mentioned. I have the pdf basic archtct plans.
  • Lastly I need to do the build plan, for the builder to go by: we discussed its not neccessary for a comprehensive-detailed one.. just the vital details/ dims on etc. He is sending me an eg from a prior build (but I can't do another 6 week wait- so need to crack on).

Very grateful for all replies- zoot

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:20, Tennentslager said:

part fill with concrete and maybe rebar

brickie builds block work to appropriate level

I suggest asking the Brickie how far below the DPC he recommends you to fill the trench. That may save him having to cut bricks/blocks and you paying for that.

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:39, zoothorn said:

Anyone any idea how I do a "non material ammendment"? I have my Planning documents ready, in pdf form.

Thanks, zoot

See reply on other thread.

• 1 month later...

Update: got my Build Notice, done my build plan/ builder happy (no 'u-value' needed). BCO aware & happy with my Build Notice path taken. I'm just waiting on the balcony NMA (yes or no).. but effectively I've got green light to GO!  So last step 20 hurdled, & can ask builder re. timeframe. Maybe he even gets the slab down soon.

One thing I've yet to consider, electrics. Why so late? bc I'm going for a very simple plan (2 sockets in each room), from consumer unit in adjacent existing main room (handy). So advice if you would.

I renovated my bathroom & kitchen including electrics (inc shower) no problem.. a damn sight easier my total rebuilding a '78 Fender Twin Reverb amp I can say!.. I'm capable of installing the sockets, with final checks by a qualified electrician (friend in village). Is this feasable/ allowed? the idea being to save £600 let's call it, by getting my chap to do the lot.

Thanks- zoot.