Guessing ...

Hey !

Ok . Getting ready for ufh pipework .

We are having a yet to be designed staircase . The plan is it has a self supporting steel spine . So will fix to upstairs steel beam and then land somewhere in the magic yellow box !

As this is a complete guess I was wondering is there any device ( that works ! ) for detecting ufh pipes ( presumably when filled with water ) . Just in case my ‘guess’ is somewhat out .....

A153AD15-3B2A-4E50-BDC0-33563CDCCC89.jpeg

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

Hey !

Ok . Getting ready for ufh pipework .

We are having a yet to be designed staircase . The plan is it has a self supporting steel spine . So will fix to upstairs steel beam and then land somewhere in the magic yellow box !

As this is a complete guess I was wondering is there any device ( that works ! ) for detecting ufh pipes ( presumably when filled with water ) . Just in case my ‘guess’ is somewhat out .....

A153AD15-3B2A-4E50-BDC0-33563CDCCC89.jpeg

An accurate drawing or photos, or both of the pipe layout is best.

Cover meter? I've used one to find RSJs under an existing concrete roof for which there were no structural drawings.

...ground penetrating radar...see @tonyrobinson ?

Why not, where the base of the spine lands leave a hole in the screed or glue a base plate down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

An accurate drawing or photos, or both of the pipe layout is best.

Cover meter? I've used one to find RSJs under an existing concrete roof for which there were no structural drawings.

...ground penetrating radar...see @tonyrobinson ?

Why not, where the base of the spine lands leave a hole in the screed or glue a base plate down.

Pipe layout ? . How long have you know me @Onoff - you *know* there isn’t one .

How can there be with ‘guessworks’ in action ,

Ah f it ! . That will do . Get prepared at a later date a post asking the best way to fix penetrated ufh pipes ?

I loves you Jon Snow ?

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

What you should have done was had some walk on glazing there so as to see the pipes...  ?

I all seriousness I reckon you're somewhat screwed if there's foil faced pir under there. What would sense through that?

• Haha 1

I am not sure what the room is for, but you could - if you have to - suspend the staircase from the ceiling beams.

Perhaps a bit drastic.

Or you could potentially sit it on the floor, held firm from other sides, with some sort of pads beneath.

That would avoid digging or drilling holes.

Ferdinand

Bit close together for dowsing, perhaps.

But I would love a video of you trying to persuade SWMBO of the method' efficacy, whilst perambulating around your toft brandishing a hazel twiglet.

>the best way to fix penetrated ufh pipes ?

You dig a bigger hole than the one you just made, and apply posh elastoplast.

There was an example on Grand Designs: the Street in one of the episodes. It was, apparently, (metaphorically not literally) harrowing.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

45 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What would sense through that?

Camel?

I suppose the other solution could be radiators.

[Update: What about a herd of dehydrated elephants:

They are good for pushing things through conduits. Why not this?]

Edited by Ferdinand

4 hours ago, pocster said:

is there any device ( that works ! ) for detecting ufh pipes ( presumably when filled with water )

Drill bits usually find them fairly fast. ?

But more seriously the cheapest way is either take lots of photos with lots of measurements. Or make an accurate plan for the stairs and avoid that area all together. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Drill bits usually find them fairly fast. ?

But more seriously the cheapest way is either take lots of photos with lots of measurements. Or make an accurate plan for the stairs and avoid that area all together. 

Yep ! I will ! But we all know it’s an accident waiting to happen!!!

Fit a trace wire alongside the UFH pipes as you install them.  That way you can just use a CAT to trace exactly where the pipes are later.  The trace cable will need to come up out of the floor with the UFH pipe, so that the trace signal generator can be connected to it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

£600 !!! Should be capable of finding life on Mars and measuring cocks from 1 mile away !!!!

but what have you spent on cr4p ones so far? sell it when you're finished, and you should be so lucky!

3 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

but what have you spent on cr4p ones so far? sell it when you're finished, and you should be so lucky!

Sent them all back via Amazon.

No out of pocket me mucka !!