Stairs

Hi all, 

We’re going to have our stairs in the main living area so would like to have it open rather than boxed in. We’re thinking of something metal but I’m assuming prices are going to be high.

Has anyone had that sort of thing built or have experience of the modular type kits like this https://thestaircasepeople.co.uk/product-category/modular-staircases/ I’m slightly concerned they may be a bit shit.

Thanks in advance.

I paid £4000 for the metal work for our cantilevered stair to be supplied and installed (this included the vertical column in the middle). This was the cheapest quote from a one man band, the other quotes were £5400 and nearly £8000!!!

The metal worker said that the structural engineer had severely over specc'd the steel, which meant that it could have been £500 - £1000 cheaper is lighter steel was used.

I also paid around £400 for the SE to design the stair.

If I did it again I would speak to some metal workers first and try and see if they would design the stair (as they will use a SE that uses steel efficiently)

IMG_20190316_150411_resized_20190517_105120347.jpg.202997cb862cebaf34658d9a576eccf0.jpgIMG_20190316_150446_resized_20190517_105120448.thumb.jpg.9c9f694345cb636fd00c69bdb59ff018.jpg

IMG_20190318_173317_resized_20190517_105120524.thumb.jpg.291d79bb2cbc0f3e4728eddcfbaf9805.jpg

A cantilevered stair is far more expensive compared to a steel stair that has a stringer on either side of the treads, such as this:

stair.thumb.PNG.db8dbb0c2344261ce2ae05dafff72359.PNG

Edited by ultramods

5 minutes ago, ultramods said:

I paid £4000 for the metal work for our cantilevered stair to be supplied and installed (this included the vertical column in the middle). This was the cheapest quote from a one man band, the other quotes were £5400 and nearly £8000!!!

The metal worker said that the structural engineer had severely over specc'd the steel, which meant that it could have been £500 - £1000 cheaper is lighter steel was used.

I also paid around £400 for the SE to design the stair.

If I did it again I would speak to some metal workers first and try and see if they would design the stair (as they will use a SE that uses steel efficiently)

That is nice looking and £4000 is not bad at all, I see you're in Aberdeen, who did you use for metal work? I'm down by Brechin.

1 minute ago, Ralph said:

That is nice looking and £4000 is not bad at all, I see you're in Aberdeen, who did you use for metal work? I'm down by Brechin.

i'll DM you as the guy has some health issues now.

£4000 wouldn't be too bad if that was the stair complete. We will be another £6400 to have Oak treads and glass balustrades supplied and installed by one company. This includes 5 linear metres of glass balustrades for the landing. 

However £9-10k is still a lot less than if you went to one company and asked them to do all the work.

Just now, ultramods said:

i'll DM you as the guy has some health issues now.

£4000 wouldn't be too bad if that was the stair complete. We will be another £6400 to have Oak treads and glass balustrades supplied and installed by one company. This includes 5 linear metres of glass balustrades for the landing. 

However £9-10k is still a lot less than if you went to one company and asked them to do all the work.

Thanks. That's a far amount of glass so still seems like a very reasonable price.

20 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Thanks. That's a far amount of glass so still seems like a very reasonable price.

I was quoted by a glazing company in Aberdeen £8500 just for the supply and install of the glazing which I think is nuts.

I had costed that I could DIY install all the glazing and balustrade channels required for the landing for around £2500 buying everything online. However the Oak treads alone will be around £2500 supplied and installed, so I am happy to pay a £1500 premium for one company to do all the work.

Edited by ultramods

I think @PeterStarck has a modular staircase that he fitted himself which looked good.

You don't necesarily have to go for steel. I was going down that path but out of the 3 that came to look/quote, none of them ended up giving me a quote (no reasons given, nada...pretty typical service down this way it seems). If it's a fairly straight forward design, then you may have more luck, but I guess many are concerned not only with the design itself but also the BRegs.

Have you considered something like this in timber? Have decided to go for that design mysef now. Certainly cheaper than steel. Also think of the glass and all that cleaning if you have 'little hands' to deal with....

Image result for wf floating staircase

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

I think @PeterStarck has a modular staircase that he fitted himself which looked good.

You don't necesarily have to go for steel. I was going down that path but out of the 3 that came to look/quote, none of them ended up giving me a quote (no reasons given, nada...pretty typical service down this way it seems). If it's a fairly straight forward design, then you may have more luck, but I guess many are concerned not only with the design itself but also the BRegs.

Have you considered something like this in timber? Have decided to go for that design mysef now. Certainly cheaper than steel. Also think of the glass and all that cleaning if you have 'little hands' to deal with....

No little hands but I do like that design, not that what I like seems to carry much weight at the moment ?. I guess the advantage of a wooden stairs apart from maybe being cheaper is the fit can be finessed a bit more. 

4 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

@Ralph yes as @oranjeboom said we have fitted a Fontenot Genius 030 modular staircase and are very happy with it. We wanted the look of a free standing staircase and it fitted the bill. There is a section in my blog about it. https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/blogs/entry/164-hall-staircase/

Thanks Peter that's good to know and the blog post is very helpful. They look decent as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

Are you purchasing from https://www.completestairsystems.co.uk/ ? Interested what sort of price their quoting for that? Hadn't seen them before, but the style is very close to what we've been looking for. 

On 17/05/2019 at 20:14, oranjeboom said:

@joth yes, getting from CSS. Just over 5k iirc which is for 2 half winders. The annoying thing is they appear to be a middle-man business as the actual staircase is manufactured in Sweden.

Thanks. Looks like ATAB-Trappan is the manufacturer. Much as I love to cut out the middle man, I don't think I mind paying a little bit for a  local dealer if they're handling the design for UK specific regs and shipping logistics. 

2 hours ago, joth said:

Thanks. Looks like ATAB-Trappan is the manufacturer. Much as I love to cut out the middle man, I don't think I mind paying a little bit for a  local dealer if they're handling the design for UK specific regs and shipping logistics. 

Yes, it's ATAB. I did contact them, but they just routed me back to the UK. There's also a Polish outfit who have a presence in the UK who appear to do an identical design (though I suspect that they too source from ATAB. But they do at least fit as part of the service (which is a few £k more).

3 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

what is the detail for across the window/door at the bottom?

Building control said no balustrade is required across the window as the window glass is safety glass. There will only be one glass balustrade that follows the path of the current temporary timber handrail.

On 17/05/2019 at 11:02, ultramods said:

IMG_20190316_150411_resized_20190517_105120347.jpg.202997cb862cebaf34658d9a576eccf0.jpgIMG_20190316_150446_resized_20190517_105120448.thumb.jpg.9c9f694345cb636fd00c69bdb59ff018.jpg

IMG_20190318_173317_resized_20190517_105120524.thumb.jpg.291d79bb2cbc0f3e4728eddcfbaf9805.jpg

As you descend the stairs is there a full height window directly in front?

Doesn't that allow the building's "energy" to flow out of the house according to the principles of Feng shui? (As in a curved path to the front of a house is better than a straight one).

;)

19 hours ago, ultramods said:

Building control said no balustrade is required across the window as the window glass is safety glass. There will only be one glass balustrade that follows the path of the current temporary timber handrail.

no handrail on the other side? or is there a wall still to be erected? surprised at bc decision

4 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

no handrail on the other side? or is there a wall still to be erected? surprised at bc decision

That photo was taken a few months ago, there is a wall on the other side.

IMG_20190411_175318_resized_20190521_062548075.thumb.jpg.0ea359a234a8ec7ac627c9938891ae3f.jpg

• Like 1

We compromised on our stairs as we wanted oak and steel but have  ̶E̶l̶e̶p̶h̶a̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶ Kids going up and down ours so chose to carpet all but the bottom step and use metal in spindles only. Pleased with how it turned out but really like the open oak risers as in post above.

5B17D6BD-B9A3-41A5-9C1E-E6122D7DF3B9.jpeg

Edited by Triple07
Photo fuzzy
  • Like 2