make your own insulated slab?

scottishjohn

Thinking of something similar for my ceilings - using EPS panel roof system but have steel joists that are a cold bridge. Plan to fix 50mm or 75mm EPS sheets on the underside then baton out and fit plasterboard or a panelling system. Thinking a combo of low expansion foam and mechanical fixings for the EPS and screws through to the batons for the boards/panels. Any fundamental flaws?!!

11 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

a bit of work and save yourself a load of money?

Don't think so,

The block is £193.50 delivered and would give you 4 m2 of 300mm thick sheets.

6 sheet of SuperthermEPS 300mm is 4.32 m2 and is £154.92 delivered.

Also the block material has no statement of what its thermal performance is, so not traceable.

11 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Don't think so,

Also the block material has no statement of what its thermal performance is, so not traceable.

I was thinking the same, that one block seams quite expensive (having done some basic research into ICF a few years ago)

17 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Don't think so,

I did not look at delivery -£100 for delivery is a rip off --would arrange my own  at that rate  as  you would need a truck load -so book a truck -my guess £500 for delivery fro truck load 

If you use the other one in 300mm thickness it comes out at £142.56 for same area as what you quote, before any volume discount

they also do a 8x4x300sheet of supertherm at £53.52  a sheet 

https://ecclestons.com/xcart/superthermeps-expanded-polystyrene-sheet-12mm-to-300mm.html?source=googleshopping&category_id=16&gclid=Cj0KCQjwt_nmBRD0ARIsAJYs6o04DKLuQyXul6r555d_L3nQS6zT_OKokUhsXYqN-ccqdu7NoNPenwUaAmvIEALw_wcB

the big blocks could  suit somebody on very wet +boggy ground --seen it used next to the river Nith  where it is tidal -house built 25 years ago --still there basically floating on 1mx1m blocks 

Edited by scottishjohn

I constructed my own insulated slab, not too difficult at all. Mind you, the slab was designed by a well respected  Structural Engineer with years if experience of designing insulated slabs.

A0F2A209-1CB9-4C1F-9359-BE9C23836AEA.thumb.jpeg.9a468c9026264852df7558f45ee5e789.jpeg

I made all the L shaped up stands out of flat sheets cut to size and glued using low expansion foam. The load bearing areas are EPS 300 and the ready ESP100, all bought in bulk via a local supplier, two wagon loads !  The steel bits (with the board fixed to the top of the ends) sticking up out of the wet concrete are for the basement walls, these were constructed out of ICF.  26 tonnes of concrete in the floor and the same in the ICF walls, all poured by myself and a local pump guy, power float finish to the floor.

Edited by Triassic

We also built our own for the basement, just a simple flat 120m2 slab of EPS 250 blocks (SE specced) with 150mm compacted crush and 50mm sand blinding below and membrane above upon which the 300mm basement slab and walls were cast using standard shuttering a Sika waterproofing rebar and admix.

When walls were struck, I glued on 200mm thick sheets of EPS70 and left a profile at the top that dovetailed with the MBC frame (was about 80mm proud of the concrete wall itself. The basement lightwells from MEA came with their own 200m XPS insulation which is bonded to the concrete and to which the lightwell screwed into.

I also cut formers for up-stands for the sliding doors, ground level windows and standard doors (about 100x100) in the vertical EPS and the concrete crew cast these seperately, drilling into the walls to resin in rebar. 

Didn't need to cut any of the EPS250 (thank god), lots of cuts to the EPS70 with an electric chainsaw - turned the basement into a big snowglobe.

Pinned 3mm corex to the vertical EPS before backfill to minimise damage from stones etc and job was done.

The basement contractor let me get on with those bits, they just wanted a flat solid surface to build the basement on