Wunda UFH Actuator

Cumbria

I have taken on a self-build that was abandoned due to ill health.

All going well, moved in February. My main problems have been with the underfloor heating ie mislabelled pipe runs and associated confusion with the zone wiring.

After installer’s last visit I discovered he has removed the springs from 2 of my 16 Wunda Actuators. All zones appear to work OK when a demand is created but  I have 2 springs laying on the floor!

Contacted Wunda re my 2 queries below but they couldn’t offer any assistance but agree the springs or actuators should be replaced.

I am not getting "the expert" back again as I have absolutely no confidence in him. and it's a given that I don't want to replace all 16 actuators so consequently I have 2 queries

1 Is there a simple mechanical way to tell which 2 of the 16 actuators have had their springs removed given the heating appears to work OK

2 How do I re-install the springs? ie how do I disassemble then reassemble the actuators? 

I have ordered a spare actuator to have a play with but would appreciate any advice in respect of my 2 queries above.

https://www.wundatrade.co.uk/shop/home/quick-shop/wundatherm-quick-shop/controls-quickshop/actuator-valve/

Thanks in anticipation

The big bit on the top of the actuator should rise and fall as it turns on and off.  They are a hot wax actuator, so when you turn it on, it will take 2 or 3 minutes to heat the wax and for it to expand so you need to be very patient.

If they are all working without the spring I would not bother.

As to working out which feeds which, do you have a plan of the pipework? That should show which pipes go to which rooms.  Otherwise it is going to be a very tedious long trial of turn on the water to just one set of pipes and wait a few hours and see (with an IR thermometer) which bit of floor is heating up.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

're the actuators...they do all appear to be rising and falling, even the unknown 2 without springs, so I'll take on board your advice.

I have a replacement/spare on its way and will post any advice on stripping down I may have to offer after having had a look at it next week.

Proving the pipe runs was a very tedious job but all sorted now.

Thanks again

Update.....The replacement actuator arrived early and I have had a good look at it. Removed the 1/4 turn auto manual selector from the top and tried to seperate the white shell from the unit.

The shell is held in place by 4 internal clips which latch onto the actuator unit. Unfortunately even with care all I have succeeded in doing is wrecking the unit. It has confirmed that the springs I have are from 2 of my actuators but I have no idea how the springs were removed without writing off the units. 

I'll take on board ProDave's advice and live without the springs.

Cheers Dave

The later photos show the damage caused by removing the white shell. I have no idea how they were successfully removed at my place given the 4 latching points inside the white shell. Note damage to the grey actautor too. 

My £18 test has failed. For now I'm following ProDave's line of living with it as it's working but will keep any eye on the forum should anyone be able to offer advice.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 1

PS

Does anyone know how to move this chat to the appropriate part of the site? ie Under floor heating. As a new member I mistakenly posted it in "introduce yourself"

Please feel free to move it if you know how.

Cheers