How much should it cost to install windows?

Triassic

I’ve been quoted £15,000 to install the 44 windows and doors in our new build. This equates to 35 days of labour for 3.5 joiners, including the hire of a telihandler for a week and all necessary foam gaskets, tapes and fitting straps etc. Is this a fair price, how much did yours cost to fit?

Edited by Triassic

We paid 17k for our timber frame to be erected to wind and watertight, that included installing 21 windows and doors, including 9 that are 3000 x 2400.

The cost also included crane and telehandler hire. 

I think it was 40 hours labour for all the windows and doors, using a combination of manhandling the the windows or using a telehandler (with forks)

The effort required will also depend on the manufacturer, I remember the joiner said Rational windows took a lot longer to fit compared to our Russell Timbertech windows, i suspect this is because our windows didn't come with any fancy gaskets etc.

And you would get a far better job from a joiner 

This is Something I’ve been banging on about for a while Some on here use Spons as a bible

These company’s that are pricing do not work to any pay scale Just to how busy they are 

I’ve fitted all ours I was quoted £6900 for fitting our sash windows 

It took my son and me Two days including loading 

The bifolds took two of us half a day The Supplier wanted £950

Stick with your original thoughts  and get a joiner to fit them

most window fitters are semi skilled at best 

Most are very Heavy handed when it comes to detail 

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

I’ve been quoted £15,000 to install the 44 windows and doors in our new build. This equates to 35 days of labour for 3.5 joiners, including the hire of a telihandler for a week and all necessary foam gaskets, tapes and fitting straps etc. Is this a fair price, how much did yours cost to fit?

ffs, i should start getting my hands dirty again!  3.5 guys fitting 1.25 windows a day, they're taking the pi$$

Our 3G windows and doors (13 windows/fixed glazing panels, 2 doors, 1 set of French windows) cost ~£8.5k, including fitting.  Three guys fitted all the doors/glazing in one day.  That included fitting 5 fixed glazing panels and the front door into a 2m wide x 6m high gable.  This didn't include sealing, I opted to do that myself, just to be sure it was as good as I could get it.

I had 26 widows, 2 doors, 3 French doors and a 4m bifold door fitted for £2050 by local window fitters.  I bought the expanding foam tape and fixing brackets (maybe £400 tops) and foamed them in myself after fitting as per JSH.  Two-storey house, no need for a telehandler.  I'd say there's some room for negotiation in your quote!

It’s roughly £300/£350 per man per day. On top of that travel/accommodation costs and equipment hire costs.

Dependant on sizes, you should be looking at 5 to 7 windows a day, sliders can take a couple of hours to a full day (size and whether supplied in kit format).

7 to 10 days install at £1k a day, plus tapes probably costing £1.5/£2k for that quantity, 

£15K sounds about right to be honest.

Edited by craig

14 hours ago, Triassic said:

I’ve been quoted £15,000 to install the 44 windows and doors in our new build. 

7 man days, £8000. However, there have been about 4 man days follow-up: no questions.

Which reminds me @craig, my hinges .... raising the back door and few mm.... ? ?

What’s the position regarding VAT. I see this as a supply and install, yet the local Rationel approved installer has provided seperate quotes for the windows and the Labour, both of which he states are Plus VAT. I has assumed this should be zero rated?

Edited by Triassic

2 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

7 man days, £8000. However, there have been about 4 man days follow-up: no questions.

Which reminds me @craig, my hinges .... raising the back door and few mm.... ? ?

All our doors and windows cost less than that to buy, installed.

28 minutes ago, Triassic said:

What’s the position regarding VAT. I see this as a supply and install, yet the local Rationel approved installer has provided seperate quotes for the windows and the Labour, both of which he states are Plus VAT. I has assumed this should be zero rated?

Some charge VAT for you to claim back, others won’t as it’s a new build and VAT exempt. Ask them, you may need to provide VAT exemption certificate.

33 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Ooops, doc on it’s way this morning.

Edited by craig

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

We can all play that game.

Aye.... when I were a lad :). The suppliers wanted £600 to fit our two Internorm entrance doors but being penny pinchers we fitted them ourselves.

3 hours ago, Triassic said:

My understanding: if it was all one quote/invoice for both supply and fit then it should be zero rated. If separate then the supply should be normal rate which you can reclaim, labour should be zero rated. If they charge normal rate on the labour then you need to get them to update the invoice, you can't reclaim it.

Certainly our windows and doors were a supply and fit contract and as a consequence the whole invoice was zero rated.  Had it not been, then we'd not have been able to reclaim the VAT, as once you've paid VAT for labour it cannot be reclaimed, I believe.

6 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

My understanding: if it was all one quote/invoice for both supply and fit then it should be zero rated. If separate then the supply should be normal rate which you can reclaim, labour should be zero rated. If they charge normal rate on the labour then you need to get them to update the invoice, you can't reclaim it.

Yes that’s correct. Easier for @Triassic to get the whole lot as a supply and fit and thus the whole lot zero rated. The only reason they can have for raising two separate invoices is if you ordered the windows separately and left the fitting to be decided separately.