Strange pipe/smell

Invader75

We're renovating our house. Kitchen needs a lot of work. It has a relatively new boiler but we can't work out what this vertical pipe does and why it's not complete fixed/sealed securely into the horizontal pipe. There also seems to be a slight drains whiff coming from it. Especially when say the dishwasher or washing machine's been on.

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

It's the condensate drain from the boiler tapping into something like the dishwasher drain.

If that connection is broken then you WILL get drain smells in the kitchen.

It looks like a well bodged connection, you need to re make it with something that actually seals.

Mine had to have an air gap/break according to the boiler installation instructions.

Fit a trap to provide a water seal which will block the drain smells. Have a look at sink traps.

Mine is a flexible pipe which just drops into a tundish/funnel which sits  on top of a sink trap which then drops into the main soil stack. If that makes sense.

I picked a trap with water seal rather than a straight through one as I thought this might work better here as it wouldnt get as much use as a sink. The bag seal type ones I have used have been known to let a wiff out when they goo up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Even I know its a condensate after many lessons at the academy of Build Hub.  I had a problem with mine and drain smells all sorted with a new waste connection.

As a bit of a noob ? could you direct me to the correct connection please and I'll give it a go. 

4 minutes ago, Invader75 said:

As a bit of a noob ? could you direct me to the correct connection please and I'll give it a go. 

I used a McAlpine one suggested by @PeterW it may be you need similar or it may be different.  I’m sure he will be along and suggest.

Even if you employ a plumber to repair this, it wont be expensive but if you have very basic skills and tools you could complete it yourself.

What about a dry trap tundish such as screwfix item 5384v at £18.23. This one operates at full flow or with just a drip, seal off and also provide an air gap. Just need to cut a piece out of your pipe and connect it in.

I have used a pedestal sink trap such as screwfix item 30503 with a plain, open  tundish item 2247v and a few reducers I already had but cant find parts in the diy outlets to show you.

Screwfix was only referenced for ease, other outlets sell this kit too.    

• Like 1