Disconnections for demo

Hi, I’m planning on demolishing my current bungalow before starting my self build later in the year. I’ve been out for disconnection quotes for electricity (UKPN) and gas (Cadent), both of which are pretty steep at the £1300 to £1500 mark excluding any trenching. My question is are there any other companies who are permitted to complete disconnections as it seems there is no way of getting a comparable quote, or do you just have to accept the quote they provide you with? 

Also so for my water supply I’d like to keep it live for the works and just move it, any advice on the best way to do this before the demo guys are let loose?

thanks

I think you may be able to get another firm to do the electrics but I doubt you will save anything.

You cannot DIY gas or electric.

Regarding the water, if the meter is not in your way you can turn it off at the meter and terminate it anywhere on your property.  A standpipe on a post somewhere is a favourite.  You may want some water for the site hut or temporary accommodation.

Why do you want complete disconnection?  You will later have to pay for re connection, and you run the slight risk that network capacity may change and when you come to re connect it might be more expensive than you think.

Certainly in the case of electricity, I would not get it disconnected, but moved to an electricity kiosk on the site boundary. you will need site power anyway.  Then you can choose to leave it there and just run your own cable from the kiosk to the new house, or pay again to have the service moved into the house.

with regards gas, you just want that disconnected but a gas pipe left on your site and capped, so re connection is easy. Make it clear this is a temporary disconnection and you don't want them digging up the road to cap it off there.

Water, as long as you have a working boundary box or stopcock to enable you to turn off the water, you just do that, turn the water off and route it to a stand pipe for building works, then route it to the new house when ready. No costs involved.

• Like 1

Thanks both,

I did ask to temp disconnect the gas as its likely I'll reconnect, they said this can't be done and they could only disconnect it now and will have to charge to reconnect at a later date.

For the electricity, the £1500 quote was to move it from an overhead to a kiosk and I'd then run a sub-main from that to the house, so I'll have power throughout the build and only one move.

I was just wondering if others have had success getting these quotes down as I've only been able to get the single quote for each. Looks like I'll have to go with their quotes.

On the water, there is a meter in the road, so I'll have to turn this off and then put a standpipe at the boundary.