Possible extension under 4 floor of flats

Hi all

This is my first post - I hope it's in the right place! :-)

I am considering buying a ground floor flat in a small-ish block.

Ignoring that I will need planning and freeholder permission (I realise neither are a given - there's no history of anybody attempting this before), is it physically possible to build a ground floor extension for a building with this many storeys? I also realise that every building and conditions are different, so this might be an impossible question to answer, but thought I'd try, as the extensions  I have seen online are of buildings with less storeys. 

We would probably redesign the interior and likely would remove the outer kitchen and master bedroom walls as well as the wall dividing them to then create a large open plan extension.

Any comments or advice are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

floorplan.JPG

outside pic1.JPG

outsidepic2.JPG

outsidepic3.JPG

the question can only be answered by the planning people + freeholder+other flat owners

and if i was freeholder or one of the other flat owners  i would say NO

so would you if someone below you was going to disturb the fabric of your flat from below 

technically of course it could be done .will require some serious input from an architect and /or structural engineer 

but will not be cheap .

that will be why you have never seen it done before 

do you have an idea of your budget ,as this will not be a DIY job 

and If all said ok you would need some serious  insurance  in case of a problem with flats above ,

real or just looking for you to renovate it for them ,cos of cracks in plaster which were really old age 

What are you trying to achieve?  It will still be a ground floor flat with a ceiling price so unlikely to get back what you spend.

I would just instead build a nice good quality garden building if you just want an office / man cave / summerhouse etc.

Thank you all for replying! We realise it's not easy, and I agree that there could well be a lot of negativity from the freeholder and residents.

You've given us some great ideas to think about!

Welcome.

I am sure that this has been done before - I recall a conversation about one, which may have been here and buried, or another forum.

I would be concerned why noone else seems to have done one or even a small extension in the block. May point to lease or freeholder issues.

I would also be concerned as to what was underneath the garden. If there is anything going through the middle of it then you have a problem  opportunity to innovate.

I cannot see anything that has been done in the street, but adjacent streets seem to have that type of extension - especially backing off properties on the main road. Nice green area. 

I think it would be wise to keep *some* garden - perhaps a semi-basement bit with a roof garden on top for part of it. As you seem to back onto commercials it may be possible, and could give spectacular light into the remainder.

"Outside space" is not as good as garden, but it is far better in Lunnon than "no outside space".

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand