Floor tile thickness??

JamieM

I have just got the windows in my new build measured up.

We have a sliding door window so the window company has asked us our finished floor height just so it can be installed level which the finished floor.  I am able to tell them the amount of screed and insulation but they have asked for the the depth of the adhesive and the tiles we are going to be installing.  i havnt even looked at tiles so have no idea yet.  is there a standardish depth i can give them or is there a great variance in tile depth?

Any help  is much appreciated.

cheers.

Please let me know how you get on with the suppliers/fitters please. They do look a quality product but they are not cheap! My architect told me one of his client's was a farmer who managed to knock £30,000 of his original Internorm quote, just shows you what mark up there is. May see if he is available to barter for me!

Well, my quote is thankfully less than £30k but that's a hell of a lot to knock off. Must be a crazy amount of windows. 

I think this thread has went a bit off topic, so I'll post up in the NI thread how I get on with supply/fit. I can say that within 2 days of me confirming I was going with them someone came out to  measure up. 

If use want to know my prices, feel free to pm me. Don't like to post up on a public forum. 

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You can always grind the slab a bit if there are a few nasty bits kicking the tiles up. :)

But how do you level the tiles if they are uneven like slate ..???

or is that another question for another day ...??

My plumber friend who is building his owh house is fuming, because the builders have sett the doors in with the threshold just 1r5mm above the cioncrete slab. So whatever tiles or wood he chooses is limited to 15mm including adhesive.

That would not be enough for us. Our present hall is tiled in slate and as mentioned they are very uneven thickness and I doubt 15mm would be enough for those.

2 hours ago, Trw144 said:

Are you having ufh? If so you may want to consider an uncoupling membrane which would add a few more mm.

We are.. i will keep this in mind when it comes to the screed thickness.  The sand cement screed is currenlty 100mm on the plans so there is a bit of room for it to be slightly changed if needed.

12 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Uncoupling or decoupling?

The former doesn't get bonded to the slab, the latter does. Eg one more layer of adhesive with a decoupler. 

learn something new every day - I probably use the words interchangeably and did nt know there was a difference. My tile is 11mm thick and I m 20mm with the ditra mat (decoupling by the sounds of  it).