what house insurance did you get when all the structural work was done but the house was not completed?

Pete

The house insurance is due for re-newel and the quotes are quite steep. The house is structurally complete, wind and watertight, 50% plasterboarded and just needs bathrooms and kitchen fitted and it will be finished. The reasons the quotes are high it seems is because I am not using contracts people to do the work and using their liability insurance. What have people done in these circumstances? The company I used last year no longer deals with this type of insurance and some of the quotes are ridiculous. I have used Quoterack this morning to see what they come back with and tried Adrian Flux yesterday and their quote was silly money when all of the structural work has been completed. TIA

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

The house insurance is due for re-newel and the quotes are quite steep. The house is structurally complete, wind and watertight [...]

Well, there's the odd draft.

Exactly the same issue as you Pete. I bought a 6 month policy. 

Head down, arse up, go.

I am trying a flea type of insurance so will be just covered for fire, lightning and earthquake. 

13 minutes ago, newhome said:

Similar thread on the go here:

Thanks. I had already read this but found it of no use as the quotes are ridiculous and wondered if anybody else had done something different.. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I am trying a flea type of insurance so will be just covered for fire, lightning and earthquake. 

Thanks. I had already read this but found it of no use as the quotes are ridiculous and wondered if anybody else had done something different.. 

I will be updating my thread later. After I have renewed my self build policy for another year having failed to find a sensible alternative.

Problem is that anything out of the ordinary will fall into manual underwriting and they will always load the premium as they won’t want to take additional risk without it being worth their while / covered against loss. They may also use a reinsurer to mitigate the risk of some higher risk areas so you will be paying for that too. 

You could look for FLEA cover but for the sake of a couple of hundred quid or so I would just bite the bullet and get proper insurance. It should (in theory) only be for a year or two surely? 

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I will be updating my thread later. After I have renewed my self build policy for another year having failed to find a sensible alternative.

Wasn’t an option for me as the self build insurer refused to extend so I had no option but to find cover elsewhere