PIR light coming on in bright sunshine

readiescards

Got some fairly cheap PIR security lights around my house. The older ones are now starting to come on whenever they detect motion even if it is a bright sunny day. They worked fine for 18 months or so.

Fiddling with the settings seems to have little impact, though can't be 100% sure I fiddled all the options.

Does the ambient light sensor drift over time normally?

It is not a major issue just a bit odd

20190512_111206.jpg

Would like to know solutions for this. I noticed one of mine has a cracked plastic layer over the sensor, and some of the plastic has dropped out. I would've thought this increases the sensitivity?

Ive read that some PIR have a test or walk mode that allows them to be set up in daylight. Apparently a power cut can sometimes put them into test mode and some fiddling with the switch is needed to get back to normal mode.

Missing lenses might let spiders in, blocking light to the sensor?

Any dirt on the photo cell will also alter the trigger point making them switch on earlier/off later or stay enabled all day. Might just need to readjust or clean the photo cell.

Edited by Temp

• 1 month later...

I've had PIR lights which had a toggle mode whereby if you flipped the power on/off/on/off/on quickly, the PIR is disabled and the light stays on. Doing the same again put it back to PIR mode. Can you get to the light to see the model number so we can check the manual (I think I know the answer to that)?

Edited by AliMcLeod

12 hours ago, readiescards said:

Cos the came from China I brought a few spares so I can see the model number ?

Oh, so you'll also have a manual then? Does it say anything about a test mode or a "always on" feature? Or is it one of those imported products with a few pictures and very little else? 

Mine is not chinese but it does the same and I cant get up a ladder to find the brand....electrician fitted and brand is not specified on the bill, it will have to ask him when he comes back. Ive done the resetting turning on and off thing......

21 hours ago, readiescards said:

Nope ?

It doesn't even say its a PIR!

What "options" did you "fiddle with"? Small turn-screws? Any close pics of them and any markers next to them?

Edited by AliMcLeod

PIR    Override:
You    can    disable    the    PIR    allowing    the    light    to    remain    on    permanently    and    switch    back    to    PIR    operation    when    required:
• Disable    PIR - Switch    the    mains    power    OFF    for    2-3    seconds then    ON    again,    the    PIR    is    disabled    and    the    light    will    stay    on.

Note: When    following    the    Disable    PIR    steps    ensure    you    switch    OFF    and    ON    within    5    seconds,    if    over    5    seconds    the    PIR    will  not    be    disabled.

• Enable    PIR - Switch    the    mains    power    OFF    for    2-3    seconds then    ON    again,    the    light    will    turn    on    as    set    on    the    time    
adjustment    and    will    turn    off.

15 hours ago, Onoff said:

I appreciate it says IP65 on them but is there any way water could have gotten in them? Loose gland, gland pointing upward and not tight etc.

IP65 seems extremely optimistic for a lamp with an external sensor. That knuckle join  supporting the sensor is the usual culprit. I don't fit that pattern any more...Too much trouble and call-backs. I much prefer units with the sensor built into the lamp and all setup done via a remote control. 

• 2 years later...
On 21/06/2019 at 20:44, Onoff said:

PIR    Override:
You    can    disable    the    PIR    allowing    the    light    to    remain    on    permanently    and    switch    back    to    PIR    operation    when    required:
• Disable    PIR - Switch    the    mains    power    OFF    for    2-3    seconds then    ON    again,    the    PIR    is    disabled    and    the    light    will    stay    on.

Note: When    following    the    Disable    PIR    steps    ensure    you    switch    OFF    and    ON    within    5    seconds,    if    over    5    seconds    the    PIR    will  not    be    disabled.

• Enable    PIR - Switch    the    mains    power    OFF    for    2-3    seconds then    ON    again,    the    light    will    turn    on    as    set    on    the    time    
adjustment    and    will    turn    off.

I'm looking for an indoor PIR sensor that has this functionality. Can you recommend one?

25 minutes ago, Temp said:

We have an outdoor one that does this sort of thing. We just leave it in PIR mode as its a pain to remember the magic sequence of flicking the switch to change modes. 

I think the alternative is to have an additional switch that can transfer the circuit from going through the PIR sensor or not. 

6 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I'm looking for an indoor PIR sensor that has this functionality. Can you recommend one?

Just look for one with "manual override" e.g:

https://www.alertelectrical.com/ovia-lighting-recessed-360-low-profile-flush-pir-with-manual-override-ovpir009wh.html

They're all going to be much the same, the ceiling mount ones. 

Tbh Steinel is the brand for all things PIR imho. If you can accept fugly then maybe something like this?

https://www.lights.co.uk/steinel-ir-180-up-easy-motion-detector-switch.html?

Shop around on price, links picked at random.

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

Just look for one with "manual override" e.g:

https://www.alertelectrical.com/ovia-lighting-recessed-360-low-profile-flush-pir-with-manual-override-ovpir009wh.html

They're all going to be much the same, the ceiling mount ones. 

Unfortunately that does not come in matt black, which is what I need.

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

Tbh Steinel is the brand for all things PIR imho. If you can accept fugly then maybe something like this?

https://www.lights.co.uk/steinel-ir-180-up-easy-motion-detector-switch.html?

Shop around on price, links picked at random.

Unfortunately according to the instruction manual, that does not have a manual override. Reading Steinel's catalogue, I see that although many of their lights have a manual override, none of their PIR sensors do, which is a shame as most of their products do come in matt black.

The search goes on.