Laying paving slabs on a slope

I'm in the process of laying a patio. The patio is only 2.4m x 2.4m so not too big and a relatively simple job.

I've dug out 150mm to allow 80mm of hardcore, 40mm of sand and cement and 30mm for the paving slabs.

Now the problem I have is that the ground isn't level. I've put some pegs in and measured, and simply put, the ground on the left hand side is approx 90mm higher than the ground on the right hand side.

I'm allowing for a 30mm drop to go from left to right. So, if I start at the highest side, by the time I get to the lowest side, the patio will be around 60mm higher than the ground.

If I start at the lowest side, by the time I get to the highest side, the ground will be 60mm higher than the patio.

Do I need some edging stone or something similar? Or could I get away without. 

Or alternatively could I do a steeper drop so the difference isn't as much, say 60mm drop instead? In which case the difference will only be 30mm on either side (depending on which side I start).

It will only be used for light traffic, few chairs and sitting out and enjoying the sun.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Jeuflo said:
I'm in the process of laying a patio. The patio is only 2.4m x 2.4m so not too big and a relatively simple job.

I've dug out 150mm to allow 80mm of hardcore, 40mm of sand and cement and 30mm for the paving slabs.

Now the problem I have is that the ground isn't level. I've put some pegs in and measured, and simply put, the ground on the left hand side is approx 90mm higher than the ground on the right hand side.

I'm allowing for a 30mm drop to go from left to right. So, if I start at the highest side, by the time I get to the lowest side, the patio will be around 60mm higher than the ground.

If I start at the lowest side, by the time I get to the highest side, the ground will be 60mm higher than the patio.

Or alternatively could I do a steeper drop so the difference isn't as much, say 60mm drop instead? In which case the difference will only be 30mm on either side (depending on which side I start).

It will only be used for light traffic, few chairs and sitting out and enjoying the sun.

Any help would be appreciated.

you say the ground will be 60mm higher than patio, what is the ground, grass, flower bed? can it be banked away from patio.

what's to lower side? possible to build a small wall to separate and delineate or at least give a vertical junction.

Have a look at Adjustable Support Pads, which will save the need to do most of the ground work. they would adjust for your slope.

I like them, and have both my shed and my patio on them, and can adjust both as necessary.

The shed is on soft ground, so has a habit of moving every couple of years.

There are other brands around.

Mine are edged with short knockerposts and half rounds.

If I ever need to get underneath I just lift a slab or two. 

You need robust paving. Mine are 50mm council slabs, which I would advise the use of 600 x 600 as these only weigh 40 kg ish, rather than 60 for the 900 x 600, which are a touch hefty to handle.

raised-patio-1.jpg

raised-patio-2.jpg

I am not aware of anyone else who has used them, but obvs they are all wrong !

Though @Mr Punter has created a far less rustic look with thick porcelain floor tiles on a roof terrace.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Jeuflo said:

If there is grass around the patio think about how you cut it. Mowers generally won't cut right up to a wall or edging if it's higher than the lawn - so you end up needing to get the strimmer out (why don't they build a strimmer into the side of a mower? Quick patent the idea!). If the patio is lower than the grass you can mow over the edge. That might determine if you "start" at the high or low side and where the step or edging goes.

The height difference isn't great. Could be done either way a course or two of engineering bricks. 

Thanks for the advice.

So on the right hand side there is a fence. I guess I just need to decide which side to build a retaining wall or use edging stones. I.e. to hold the ground on the left or the patio and concrete on the right.