Staircase Suppliers

NSS

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I still don't see what a straight one would not do :-), unless it is an anti-torque / rigidity thing unique to bent staircases !

Perhaps I am as thick as the two short planks it is supporting.

The technical reasoning behind the curvature is that it looks way, way cooler than everything being straight! :) 

50 minutes ago, NSS said:

It was all going so well, but one piece of glass doesn't fit as they'd not allowed for the architrave on the doorway :(

Grinder? :ph34r::) 

Sorry, I shouldn't joke I know only too well how hugely frustrating these things are.

Just now, Barney12 said:

Grinder? :ph34r::) 

Sorry, I shouldn't joke I know only too well how hugely frustrating these things are.

No joke, sort of. Many years ago me and a mate got paid to use a window cleaning cradle to lift plate glass for posh office partitions up the side of a building. It was slow going and the glass people decided they would take the small bits up the stairs. They managed to catch a corner on a wall and one of the brand new bits went BANG! They had a "waterfall" of glass come down the stairs. Give them their due they tidied up and hoovered whilst the site agent was on a tea break - he never knew! 

Short of one piece of glass I watched two guys lay a piece of slightly different shade glass from somewhere else on a few trestles and proceed to score it with a CIRCULAR SAW. Whether there was a diamond blade in it or something I don't know but it snapped clean as a whistle along the line. This bit went next to the wall where there were curtains and the shade difference was lost.

Got a pic somewhere...

The glass and rails seem to be careful use of a standard system.

Shall I take a Ferdi Flyer :-) and pin a tail on the donkey?

1-1.5k for the 13 treads which will be a standard element or process.

1-1.5k for the metalwork which may be a standard process.

1.5k for approx 10m of glass and balustrade at 150 per metre.

.5k to get it here.

.75k for 2 men one day to install and travel etc.

.5k for the project for bits and pieces.

1k profit element for different people.

1.5k give or take for VAT.

= 7-10k plus or minus a tolerance, and ignoring currency fluctuations.

To front up, 8.5k. 

Suspect NSS has sweated the costs. IT would be tempting to find out if they had a standard model, and size my hall and landing to match.

Or I could be talking out of my bottom, having not bought any similar staircase. The only element I may know are glass balustrades.

Edited by Ferdinand

• 1 month later...