Staircase Suppliers

NSS

Hi all

We're hoping to have enough left in the budget for an oak staircase (double-winder) with glass balustrades and have started looking at potential suppliers. Does anyone have any experience of a company called Max Stairs, or recommendations for other suppliers who provide good quality product at sensible prices?

This is the sort of thing we're hoping to go for... http://www.max-stairs.co.uk/?c=gallery&m=18#

Cheers

I used a company in Basingstoke I see you are in south hampshire, not sure if they would go as far but they were excellent and I would recomend them to anyone. We had a really difficult location for our stairs and it was tight to meet building regs but Gary was absolutely brilliant in all the measuring and design.  We had them measured and fitted by them within two weeks and it was about £200 more than pears wanted for supply only with your own measurements/Design.

http://www.gsfstairs.co.uk/

• 1 month later...

How did you get on and who,did you use, im currently looking for ours, a standard straight run stair with returns to eaves and a 5 m run of glass ballustrade just had a quote of £6k without glass and another 1.2k to fit not sure my budget will stretch so want alternatives, we would like oak and glass.

19 minutes ago, janedevon said:

How did you get on and who,did you use, im currently looking for ours, a standard straight run stair with returns to eaves and a 5 m run of glass ballustrade just had a quote of £6k without glass and another 1.2k to fit not sure my budget will stretch so want alternatives, we would like oak and glass.

Go onto Pears Stairs and you can price it up yourself using their online stair builder. You can choose infinite variations of oak, glass etc ..!

• Like 1

Hi another company is TK stairs. This is not a recommendation but i have just been gathering quotes for our stair case and they are by far the cheapest i have found.

We wanted all Oak with cut strings, two quarter landings and curtail step and a volute. 

• 5 months later...

Brief (and belated) update. After much deliberation, we've finally ordered a staircase. Had several quotes in the £5.5k to £6.5k range for oak stairs similar to the one I linked to in the first post, but decided we'd really like something more contemporary (even if it meant spending a bit more). Ours will be styled as per the one in the image below, albeit with a double winder. Lead time is 8 to 9 weeks but will hopefully be worth the wait :)

Bespoke-Staircase-Croxley-Green-3.jpg

• Like 1

I really need to get the finger out with this - we are ready to fit ours now and we've not even finalised the design. Will nto cause us any issues for a few months but I need to look at it amongst all the other bathroom, kitchen, landscaping, garage and decoration planning we're doing! :)

5 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I really need to get the finger out with this - we are ready to fit ours now and we've not even finalised the design. Will nto cause us any issues for a few months but I need to look at it amongst all the other bathroom, kitchen, landscaping, garage and decoration planning we're doing! :)

Yes, I'd have liked to have had it sooner but it took a while to find a supplier who doesn't charge platinum prices for powder-coated steel :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add that we used Pear Stairs, can't speak highly enough about them.  Excellent quality, a perfect fit first time, and pretty quick from placing the order to taking delivery.  They deliver themselves, too, so the staircase arrives well-packaged and with minimal risk of damage in transit.  The joiner that gave me a hand to install it reckoned he'd have had to charge twice as much just to break even, and when we lifted it up and hooked it on, he pulled a torpedo level out of his pocket saying "lets see how far out it is".  The bubble stayed resolutely in the middle on all axes, so he scratched his head, said he'd never seen a staircase like that before and we set about fixing it in place.  Half a day's work to fit the staircase, landing rail and banister, then a wait for a couple of weeks for the 10mm thick glass, as they get that made after fitting, when you give them the "as installed" dimensions.

Staircase.thumb.JPG.04c9321441985bbd6aa20c99e442c750.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandAbuild said:

Hi @NSS - did you go with Max Stairs in the end? Were they any good?

Anyone else had experience of them? We've had a very competitive quote for stair reference 53  http://www.max-stairs.co.uk/index.php?c=gallery&m=129  from them.  

Hi @RandAbuild - no, as mentioned above we went for a steel/oak/glass staircase. Not expecting delivery until mid June so won't mention the supplier until we've received and are happy with it, but they've been very good to deal with so far.

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, NSS said:

It's also there to tie the inner stringers to the outer ones. I'll take a pic of the underside when I get a chance.

I still don't see what a straight one would not do :-), unless it is an anti-torque / rigidity thing unique to open well type staircases !

Perhaps I am as thick as the two short planks it is supporting. o.O

From my youth I recall a house in St Ives (the flat one near Cambridge with the new Guided Busway, and cheapskate cycletrack alongside that has parts below winter floods - b*st*rds) with an open well open tread staircase built on a spiral of metal, and how it used to go bung-bung-bung like a single string base guitar as the 10 year old Ferdinand bounced up or down each step. Cool.

Do you suppose a staircase can be tuned to play Doh-Re-Mi as you climb it? How would you build it - an ever decreasing spiral?

DSCN3534.JPG

Edited by Ferdinand
Thread requires a tangent.