Moving the house position on full planning

nickw

Guys can anyone confirm something or have any experience of it.

I have full planning granted on a site, the original was a q class conversion on the barn.

We have set the house back from the track it adjoins by 2 metres but it still is on the barn footprint by 90%. I have been told by a friend that does developments that I should be able to apply to move the house anywhere within the site as the land has changed from agricultural to habitation status. If I could move the house position it would make the build way easier as the site is sloping and at the moment drainage will probably work without pumps but need to take out maybe 1200 tons of spoil. Also the view would be that bit better and it would move the house away from the 1 neighbour that has whinged throughout the q plans (I wasn't involved at that stage) and throughout the full planning stages.

Any ideas or similar been done?

cheers

Nick

i am sure you will be able to apply to move the house, if it gets granted that is another thing.

tbh i don't think that anyone can give you a clear yes or know, with out full details of the site and the planners comments were.

As it is a conversion, i would have thought that the planners would be resistant if the proposed building footprint moved too far away from the original barn footprint, and the form being similar. However it is completely dependant on how your local planners view it.

Could be worth actually talking it though with the planning case officer to see how resistant they would be too a move, explaining (with good reasons) why you want to make the move.

Edit, i have just remembered your local planning authority and location, personally i think that you will be hard pushed to move it too much, but i like to be proved wrong! :P

Edited by Moonshine

that brings in something that applies in scotland ,if you rebuilding a house -you can move the  footprint to anywhere within the curtlidge of the plot , but only if its done in the planning  stage 

so to move it you need to go back to planning  

one here did that and the bc man spotted it when founds were down --made them move it ,so new founds 

Lmao , to your edit, ohhh yes this area planners are a law to themselves and not helpful. Funny as their job spec is to assist (us-the applicants) with planning not be a hindrance or awkward for the sake of it. As a civil servant myself if I operated like they do I would jobless in hours, not days, weeks or years.

I think I will be hard pushed like you say , I specifically kept the form /shape the same to offer the path of least resistance and I do have planning that I can work with so don't have to bend over and take what they are offering but with a free planning go I'll let it run and appeal if necessary and see what reasons they come up with.

Be interesting if anyone has done similar.

6 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

that brings in something that applies in scotland ,if you rebuilding a house -you can move the  footprint to anywhere within the curtlidge of the plot , but only if its done in the planning  stage 

so to move it you need to go back to planning  

one here did that and the bc man spotted it when founds were down --made them move it ,so new founds 

Yup it would be a full new application. They would def notice as it would be about 20 metres away 

Ohh and just remembered , they have changed the rules now so can't talk to planners without paying them, pay for 30mins they will talk for 20 and allow 10 for writing up the info. Very helpful.

Edited by nickw
  • Like 1

I am aiming to twist the footprint of our the current FPP through 10-15 degrees, and just know that I am going to have to submit a new application. I would think that a move of any kind from what has already been approved would require a new application anywhere in the country.

2 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

I am aiming to twist the footprint of our the current FPP through 10-15 degrees, and just know that I am going to have to submit a new application. I would think that a move of any kind from what has already been approved would require a new application anywhere in the country.

Yep all happy with doing a new app, I just think they will respond in 8 weeks or in planning speak (when we want to) and say nope.

6 minutes ago, nickw said:

Yup it would be a full new application. They would def notice as it would be about 20 metres away 

Ohh and just remembered , they have changed the rules now so can't talk to planners without paying them, pay for 30mins they will talk for 20 and allow 10 for writing up the info. Very helpful.

and here its only at certain times on 2 days a week  as well  1400-1600 hours tuesdays and fridays  ithink 

Just now, scottishjohn said:

and here its only at certain times on 2 days a week  as well  1400-1600 hours tuesdays and fridays  ithink 

I think ours was/is 1 day a week if they are in/available/ certain time /given to an assistant to answer(who knows bugger all) if the council phones are working (yes had that one for 3 days). Love planners.

1 minute ago, nickw said:

I think ours was/is 1 day a week if they are in/available/ certain time /given to an assistant to answer(who knows bugger all) if the council phones are working (yes had that one for 3 days). Love planners.

about as much  as a dose of the clap 

but you can get rid of the clap .LOL

Edited by scottishjohn

11 minutes ago, nickw said:

what ?! i knew councils were getting tight for budgets but that seems ridiculous, i haven't submitted my full application yet, but chatted to the planner allocated to the pre-app earlier this week, i could tell they were pushed for time, but were very helpful (for free), oh and they were complementary to my proposals, and wanted me to get the application in. 

Edited by Moonshine

Just now, Moonshine said:

what ?! i knew councils were getting tight for budgets but that seems ridiculous, i haven't submitted my full application yet, but chatted to the planner allocated to the pre-app earlier this week, i could tell they were pushed for time, but were very helpful (for free), oh and they were complementary to my proposals, and wanted me to get the application in. 

I wish mate.

When I first started this project the head planner was (known) throughout the area and the comments about them were lets say ...."interesting"

They have now gone , the new one is i've been informed "difficult"

I look forward to dealing with planners as much as I look forward to having a rectum probe, I know at some point in life it'll happen I just wish i was a more pleasant experience.

2 hours ago, nickw said:

I have full planning granted on a site, the original was a q class conversion on the barn.

Around here a Class Q conversion requires most of the original building to remain and the footprint to not be altered. Also the curtilage can only be the same area as the footprint of the building. A small converted barn next to my property has a very small garden as a result. Mind you if no one dobs you in to planning enforcement they probably won't ever check. Not a risk I would take though.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

normally, any movement has to be contained within the original red line on the planning application site plan. Anything outside that and it's a new application.

It would be within the red line as I have the red line around the whole site bar one area to remain "agricultural"

9 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Around here a Class Q conversion requires most of the original building to remain and the footprint to not be altered. Also the curtilage can only be the same area as the footprint of the building. A small converted barn next to my property has a very small garden as a result. Mind you if no one dobs you in to planning enforcement they probably won't ever check. Not a risk I would take though.

I have full planning given, very different now to the class q, curtilage is 90% of the site 3/4 acre. The whole reason to get the planning was the q class was so crap and restrictive.

We will have a neighbour that will measure everything !!! when not there and whinge whine and generally be assholes  when there. Nimby doesn't describe these people accurately enough.

Edited by nickw

14 minutes ago, nickw said:

I have full planning given, very different now to the class q, curtilage is 90% of the site 3/4 acre. The whole reason to get the planning was the q class was so crap and restrictive.

We will have a neighbour that will measure everything !!! when not there and whinge whine and generally be assholes  when there. Nimby doesn't describe these people accurately enough.

Shame about the neighbour, but if the new position is further from their site they might be happier. Planners don't usually take that much notice of nimbys so good luck.

Edited by PeterStarck

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Shame about the neighbour, but if the new position is further from their site they might be happier. Planners don't usually take that much notice of nimbys so good luck.

Yeah thanks mate, i was hoping that the neighbour would ease up once the planning was given , but doesn't appear so, the new house location would be another 20 odd meters further away so yes better I guess for them , also at an angle which is is now but adding distance making the angle even better. Saying that one of their whinges was that we are close to them....Hmmm  separated by a track/road and closest part of the house was 25 metres I think when I measured it.

I didn't think the planners would be too concerned on the original plans but I did have to move the garage location , from east to west and put in a new access and a 90 metre private drive parallel to the roadway and that was most definitely to placate the neighbour who didn't want a driveway opposite theirs, bear in mind this is rural as hell and my driveway was an existing 12ft field gate into the site, which is now the part of the acreage hat has to remain agricultural grr.

4 hours ago, nickw said:

Lmao , to your edit, ohhh yes this area planners are a law to themselves and not helpful. Funny as their job spec is to assist (us-the applicants) with planning not be a hindrance or awkward for the sake of it.

Law unto themselves or potentially human beings having to square an impossible circle - you want to move the house for very good reasons, but doing so may create an entirely new development (i.e. impact others in a way your current plans do not).  Consequently there is a process to go through.  Why should you be able to do whatever you want when others cannot? Frustrating yes, but whats the alternative, unhindered development at the expense of everyone but the developer?

7 hours ago, Stones said:

Law unto themselves or potentially human beings having to square an impossible circle - you want to move the house for very good reasons, but doing so may create an entirely new development (i.e. impact others in a way your current plans do not).  Consequently there is a process to go through.  Why should you be able to do whatever you want when others cannot? Frustrating yes, but whats the alternative, unhindered development at the expense of everyone but the developer?

I'll stick with law unto themselves.

I have no axe to grind I have planning that fullfills 90% of what I wanted so i'm happy. If I get the changes I want so be it, if not thats ok I'll build what I have and still be very happy.

However working with the planners has not been easiest. Info has only been offered when requested or re-requested and any advice seems to come in bit parts and grudgingly given. I can and have found out more information off the internet or here than was ever offered from planners. They as a public servant do have a duty to assist the applicant, if however they are short of staff or short of time then does this give them the right to hinder the developer either in taking a long time or not assisting as much as they possibly could with advice or recommendations, as this is then only at the developers expense. To now make a charge to even call the planners is a complete joke in my view, my taxes contribute to them existing and yet I cannot use their services without paying again. I really don't see the squaring of an impossible circle issue, they are reasonably well paid to do a professional job. Personally speaking if they had at least communicated quickly and openly and in a friendly manner they may not have reminded me of trying to deal with a sullen school boy dragging his heels over any issue and only verbally engaging with monosyllables as a last resort or with a clip round the ear.