Sarking

2 hours ago, Redoctober said:

Hope this helps. Nothing like a photo to assist. It shows our roof having been fixed with Sarking and then a "loose" or floppy fitted membrane attached.

DSC00796 (2).JPG

not sure i,m happy with temporary batons nailed to membrane just to hold it on --it will be full of exposed holes  once you  fit correct batons structure.

surely just fix the vertical ones as you lay the membrane to hold it in place ?

Thanks @scottishjohn but sadly I knew very little about how to do or indeed how not to do things last year, when the house was built. All I would say though, is that the roofers were long term, well established professionals from the local area and to date, the slate roof hasn't blown off or leaked! ???

2 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

Thanks @scottishjohn but sadly I knew very little about how to do or indeed how not to do things last year, when the house was built. All I would say though, is that the roofers were long term, well established professionals from the local area and to date, the slate roof hasn't blown off or leaked! ???

that must have been that well known Australian building  co. "she,ll be right bruce "

i did read somewhere that some makers claim that their membranes self seal small holes ,but they also said the titanic was unsinkable .LOL

.I,m sure they went over it all and patched the nail holes  with tape as they fitted real batons 

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, sean1933 said:

Just about to fit my 11mm OSB sarking before Protect VP400 straight ontop. It's square edged - does it need a 3mm gap all the way around as I keep reading conflicting info ?

thanks in advance!

The whole of our TF house is clad in OSB3 racking and as it was to be part of the airtightness layer we fitted it without any gaps. That was nine years ago and there don't seem to have been any problems.

• Thanks 1