Having an air test next week, any tips?

joe90

I have just booked our air test for next Monday and wondered if anyone had any tips about finding any air leaks I may have? It would be good to have smoke/draught/leak detection on hand to find any leaks while they are here so I can rectify it before they leave and up my results.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Vaseline the keyholes. See @pocster

?

I don’t have key holes, inside locks are handles.

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I seem to remember that J rigged up his own test before the official one didn't he? Is that a possibility for you?

I don’t have the time or enthusiasm ?

1 hour ago, BotusBuild said:

Good source

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Cheap e-Cig and clear glycerine and water mix would allow you to find anything too and they don’t smell like smoke matches 

Ha, good thought.

Edited by joe90

A good test is to get a piece of paper and put it between the sash of the window and the frame of the window. Close the window, if you can pull the paper out, then the seal is not hitting the frame hard enough and your going to get air leakage through there. You'll need to adjust the pressure of the sash against the frame if possible with the type of window.

If you can't pull it out without a good bit of resistance or not at all, then it's a good seal. Handles with spindles are a weak point & key holes are a weak point, put some vaseline/silicon over the key hole.

You can also put some lubricant over the seals on the windows and doors, it creates good contact and can be wiped off after the test but does no harm being left ? 

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Can I come and watch?

Yes mate, booked for 3pm next Monday, kettle on as always ?. I am on Ebay looking for cheap e cigs as above. 

44 minutes ago, craig said:

You can also put some lubricant over the seals on the windows and doors, it creates good contact and can be wiped off after the test but does no harm being left 

I use this on car door rubbers. I wonder if it would help on window rubbers?

Screenshot_20190514-145218_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f392df692b33e59eb7b6198090c393d0.jpg

QQ. Why would you want to do something ‘temporary’ for the test as surely if you remove said lubricant etc afterwards it’s not giving a realistic measure of how airtight the house is in normal use? 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

@joe90 what result do you need?  You should get less than 5 without even trying.

Its not about what I need as building regs are so awful if I don’t pass them I am jumping off the roof head first!,!,, it’s about holding my head up on this forum ?, I think I have done well but Monday will tell. If I disappear from the forum you know why!

• Like 1

If it wasn't so warm I'd say hire an IR camera...

Something like https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Toys-Wizard-Stick/dp/B000FIN0V8 ?

It might depend a bit on how performant the house is. You can quite easily feel the air movement in a normal build (although IIRC you are aiming higher). Are the possible leakage points covered?

Also, what sort of tester is this - a one hour give-you-a-number-and-go type or someone that's going to stick around and help?

Edited by gravelld

@gravelld just the MVHR ducts and ASHP pipes to seal. Not thought how long they hang around, will call them in the morning and ask. I am off to buy an e cig in the morning ? thanks for the heads regarding time on site.

4 minutes ago, gravelld said:

I meant things like - is this just a shell with the AT layer complete - is plasterboard up covering the AT layer etc?

Ah, no, fully finished, wet plastered on blockwork (don’t like airtight membranes).

6 hours ago, newhome said:

QQ. Why would you want to do something ‘temporary’ for the test as surely if you remove said lubricant etc afterwards it’s not giving a realistic measure of how airtight the house is in normal use? 

You shouldn't need too, in fact it's not recommended but it is a "trick" of the trade. More so in a house that is fighting to get 0.6ach due to leakages throughout the building and the client dependant on the result for building warrant.

Every little helps.

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

Its not about what I need as building regs are so awful if I don’t pass them I am jumping off the roof head first!,!,, it’s about holding my head up on this forum ?, I think I have done well but Monday will tell. If I disappear from the forum you know why!

Probably more about forgetting to seal something like a cooker hood off.

I can tell everyone what happens, could even video it.

Edited by SteamyTea

51 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I can tell everyone what happens, could even video it.

You’ll be getting arsenic in that cuppa if you’re not careful ? ️ 

• Haha 1

You would have to have immensely cocked up not to pass building regs. Our old draughty house is 5.8 m3/m2/hr and that is a representative hole of 1000 cm2.

But I'm sure you have loftier goals.

My comment about plasterboard etc was about - can you get to where the holes are *at the airtight layer* to fix them if you find them?

The only holes are ASHP pipes and these are sealed with silicone, the  MVHR external terminals will be temporary sealed up. Question, do they pressurise the house or create a vacuum?, only asking as it will be easier to vaccuum the house and see draughts (if any) with my e cig inside the house! I think if I have any leaks it will be window or door seals which should be fairly easy to fix.

Edited by joe90

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Question, do they pressurise the house or create a vacuum?

Not witnessed one yet but I believe they do both and take an average of a series.

Edited by Dreadnaught
  • Like 2