Vintage Laptop

Dell Latitude CPt laptop bought as a backup / spare off of eBay for an existing one with some critical software on. EXACT same model. Done it before. Put HDD in from one you want to "clone", boot up and all's well.

This time though. Starts OK

But then:

20190513_145728.thumb.jpg.bd6556328fa857fdf474699f515b6532.jpg

Have reseated everything; drives, memory etc.

Any ideas?

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So it's not seeing the HDD in the bios?

Try manually configure rather than auto detect?

I assume it came to you working with a previous HDD so the pooter works?

Must admit not tried with the original HDD...will get back to you.

I would err on the side of caution and if the original drive has something CRITICAL, no way would I risk putting into another computer unless I had a backup. Suggest you either make a full system backup (and understand how to restore it) or clone the old drive to the "new" one and try to boot off the new one in the new laptop. I do like Macrium Free (Windows only) for backup and cloning, and CloneZilla (Linux or other OS if using live edition) but there are loads of other options out there.

No harm done. Critical  HDD back in its own lappy and booting up fine / back to normal.

Result on this newly purchased one too. Same screen above trying to boot from the HDD it came with. Problem with the "modular bay" turned out to be the CD drive. Whether it wasn't sited properly I'll find out shortly after a bit more playing. I did buy it with the rider saying it booted to the screen in the OP so all's good! 

Now to delve into his JPEGs and deleted stuff! ?

Christ...hit the mother load here. Folders such as "berlin", "amsterdam" & "naughty". 

20190513_205154.jpg

EDIT: Nothing "naughty". Plenty of ripped male torsos taking selfies in the mirror though. Squaddies possibly. What looks like an Army wedding.

WTF couldn't I have bought a fit lesbian's laptop???

I've contacted the seller asking if there's anything on here they want. He's come back and thanked me for informing him but said feel free to wipe clean.

Edited by Onoff
Apostrophe inserted in "lesbians".
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thinking of splurging £25 on one of these:

Screenshot_20190517-061654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.375ea26943a333cf89d79a1c935850a0.jpg

Yes to go in the very old Dell laptop. Speed is not the issue. It'll be a Win2K install, at a stretch maybe XP though I've always found that less stable.

I got to thinking...

Is there a way, maybe by means of an interface to fit say an 8GB memory stick in place of a removed 2.5" ide/pata HDD?

21 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Don't think a USB stick is easily do-able internally, but some of our systems have a CF card instead of an HDD

something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pin-bare-Laptop-44-Pin-Male-IDE-To-CF-Card-Adapter-U9B8/183751687229?epid=1443191047&hash=item2ac8743c3d:g:LdcAAOSwO2pcnL2I

Thanks. I know the laptop is that old it won't boot from USB. Would it see the CF card in the BIOS I wonder?

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

See it has AOL 9 on it, how old is this thing, some of the people in the images may have lost their youthful charm by now.

20+ years. Will never be connected to the internet.

21 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Go on, upload the images, you know you want to.

I know YOU want me to! 

All gone, trying to forget them. I'm a ?man anyway. 

Last eBay lappy I bought I recovered their skiing holiday pics with one choice apres ski pic! Taken on a low res mobile but Google searched the image and it appears "real".

Last eBay lappy I bought I recovered their skiing holiday pics with one choice apres ski pic! Taken on a low res mobile but Google searched the image and it appears "real".

This ....

40 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Best to zip and encrypt all photos and videos I find.

And this...

A word of caution for anyone who finds images on a  second hand device. 

Do not delete them, do not copy them onto a separate disk or USB key. If they are of any dubious nature, give the device to the police and details of the transaction and walk away. 

There is no defence for copying or distributing indecent images if you start to create copies !!!  

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

There is no defence for copying or distributing indecent images if you start to create copies !!!  

Nothing indecent. Just pics of young, ripped, tanned, buff GUYS!

Doesn't float my boat...though there was that volleyball scene in Top Gun...

?

Following @dpmiller's lead I got the CF card and ide adapter. 

20190523_164424.thumb.jpg.f431473044a46cf423ec07a7f3e3603d.jpg

Good news in that the bios recognises the card as the primary hdd:

20190523_164829.thumb.jpg.95b5f0112c3d5ea18b2e5399e00739f3.jpg

Now I guess to format the CF card and somehow clone the old clunker hdd.

• Like 1

Just now, Onoff said:

Sheep.

As an ex software engineer all Microsoft windows shite has always been a pain . Mac is based off unix / Linux is very stable .

Borrow a Mac for a week - you’ll bin your windows shite straight away .

49 minutes ago, pocster said:

As an ex software engineer all Microsoft windows shite has always been a pain . Mac is based off unix / Linux is very stable .

Borrow a Mac for a week - you’ll bin your windows shite straight away .

Mac...why would I? Big Linux fan. I run Zorin OS on my own laptop quite happily. Used a live disc only the other night to rescue pics off a rellies dead Windows 8 system. 

Just cracked 4 laptops for work using chntpw under Ubuntu.

16 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Mac...why would I? Big Linux fan. I run Zorin OS on my own laptop quite happily. Used a live disc only the other night to rescue pics off a rellies dead Windows 8 system. 

Just cracked 4 laptops for work using chntpw under Ubuntu.

Because it’s written in the bible to use a Mac