A Million Plan To Self Build In 2020

The most attractive plot pricing is to be found in Scotland, with Inverness and Dundee offering plots of land suitable for self building at £91,000 and £95,000 respectively.

If you are prepared to go 20 miles out of Inverness I can show you plots for sale for about £50K

Very few self builders live in caravans on site now

It is nice to belong to an elite group.

Who is this Anna Cottrell person? And should I have heard of her?

Aha:

In 2018 Anna moved into the world of interiors from academic research in the field of literature and urban space and joined Realhomes.com as Staff Writer. She has a longterm interest in space-making and the evolution of interior style. She can also be found looking for the latest innovations in sustainable homewares or buying yet more bedding.

Trolling pinterest in the Interior Design space, perhaps?

At least they understand statistics and sampling: :ph34r:?

Unfortunately, it's not such good news for would-be self builders who live in Liverpool, where a self build plot will set you back an eye-watering £817,000. Oxford was the second most inhospitable city to self builders, with a plot there costing over £500,000. Derby, Cambridge and Cardiff are all also very expensive, with plots there coming in at well over £300,000.

Quick ! Quick ! Any Buildhubbers in Liverpool - get Planning then your back garden is worth £817,000.

So what goes on to give such a profound understanding of the self-build market devoid from commonsense? - An academic career in Arts and Literature goes on, which I think is even a Doctorate.

Back at University I had a very Northern mate who would just comment as if it was a Bush Baby: "Furry Stories".

They seem to do affiliate marketing without a clear declaration to customers. I would be concerned that their product selection is based on affiliates not merit to some extent, and that all the articles are just advertorial.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Articles like this are really just click bait for the advertisers who have links embedded in them, I'm sure.  Write a bit of meaningless twaddle in five minutes, give the article a title that will get the curious to click on it, then carefully insert a link to the sponsor.  With luck the article may do as this one has done and get picked up and spread around on social media...

42 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I posted as I thought it might resonate with what some on here have said about making the move "North". 

It was making the move (a rather long way) north that enabled us to self build. Mid you it also enabled us to get the house we really wanted rather than all we could barely afford in the over priced SE.

• Like 1

Well, here's the culprit - the pillocks from Insulation Express, plus a load of 'property' websites that can't be bothered, or are incapable of, thinking.

Based on the plotfinder database, it seems. The sample sizes speak for themselves.

https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/blog/uks-biggest-self-build-opportunities/

201905-insulation-express-bullshit-selfbuild-map.thumb.jpg.d32773a93eebc1fc6fd5b84b79f3d300.jpg

If anybody buys from insulation express, do roast their nuts whilst you are at it.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

It's a pity Anna didn't touch on renewables and the energy saving potential a self builder has. Together with the fact even self builders often overlook that. How many times have people said they wish they'd found Buildhub sooner so they could have avoided mistakes / improved their detailing. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

It's a pity Anna didn't touch on renewables and the energy saving potential a self builder has

Why would she, she likes fluffy cushions and clean bed linen.

Who is going to get in touch with her with a link to this post.

10 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

A million unfinished bathrooms. lovely.

I plan to go to the moon, generally between the hours of 22PM and 6AM.

What a nonsense article.

@Onoff will finish them !

I’ll build them . So around 1 house complete every 6 years