Advised planning permission not needed, Really true?

Da-Dad

Hello friendly people,

I'm hoping you can help me out with some advice...mostly for the peace of mind before any next steps.

We want to do a few updates to our bungalow, 1) Extend the current Windows (to bifold doors) at the front of our house, there are 2 windows about 2m wide each, 1 of them runs nearly floor to ceiling whilst the other is around 70%. 2) Extend the balcony (stone built) with a wood patio about 2.5m out and 6m to the left.

To clarifyit is a detached Bungalow nearer to the countryside....so only the backside has any neighbors and they are literally in other streets (+50m away) and as the Bungalow is on a hill we are already looking down on them with the existing windows/balcony.

I've spoken to a builder (briefly) and he has advised I don't need planning permission to remove these windows and replace with bi-folding patio glass doors as the current large windows are already there and as this is an old single story flat roof extension with nothing above there is additional support required beams wise.

Also similar to the above, there is an existing stone base balcony on the right side (65cm above the garden at the tallest but less than 30cm above the garden at the shortest), we want to extend as above but it would now also sit in front of the 2 windows area. SEE attached diagram and photo of the proposals.

Would the above 2 changes be ok under PD or planning required? Since they are both basically extending the current windows and balcony we are not sure and not getting a solid answer!

CHEERS for the help, DD1879137736_exteriorback1.jpg.26d8d56a46e8d8860cb594c9b703b35c.jpg894475497_livingroomproposalv1.thumb.jpg.3bb54d71b9511a2b615ab08c733ce227.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

I dont believe you need planning permission to change the windows (unless the original permission for your house or the one for the extension, has any relevant conditions, eg a condition removing permitted development rights).

You _may_ need planning permission to enlarge the balcony(s). That's because any "raised platform" over 300mm high (12") needs planning permission. However it depends where the height is measured. Usually this is adjacent to the house so it's possible it's not higher than 300mm  at that point despite being higher elsewhere. If it's >300mm high adjacent to the house then I believe it will need planning permission.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/11/decking

You will need Building Control Approval (this is separate and different to planning permission). This is because structural alterations will be required to enlarge the windows openings, particularly as it looks like you will be removing brick piers and a brick corner and enlarging openings considerably. I think I would want some involvement from a structural engineer rather than just letting the builder design it. Typically you might need to put a steel beam above the new window openings but that corner/joggle you are removing means any beam isn't a simple straight beam.

PS: The planners may consider that the area of the balcony counts as an extension. Given you already have an extension this may take you over what you can do without planning permission. Normally you can only add a total of 50% to the floor area of the original house so how big is the existing extension and did it need Planning permission?

Edited by Temp

I concur with @Temp, subject to the caveat that if you are in a protected area ... eg Conservation Area, National Park etc, or what is called an "Article 4" area, there may be specific restrictions that require PP. You could ask your Council that.

In this case, I would be fairly relaxed about talking to the Council. Even if they operate a "pay to talk to us about a particular case" service, you may be able to smuggle some individual questions into the 'protected area' request.

If you are looking for reassurance, you could ask Planning Aid - a service run by the RTPI. But you will need to frame your questions as policy queries, rather than related to your particular case. eg Would Planning Permission be required to change a window to a door on the front of my house?

https://www.rtpi.org.uk/planning-aid/

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Welcome @Da-Dad. With this sort of query it's well worth saying which country you're in. Building and permitted-development regulations for Scotland and Northern Ireland are very different from those in England and Wales and E&W differ from each other a bit.

• Like 1

Thank you for the awesome replies!

To clarify, we are in West Yorkshire and the current extension is considerably less than 50% of the floor area of the house (maybe around 20%) and I don't think it needed planning permission.

Yeah for any work to the windows, I would be hiring a structural engineer and going through BC!

That planning advice service looks very useful thanks.

So - regarding the planning  - enlarging the current 2 windows to either 1 long bi-fold glass door or 2 sets of enlarged (+ 50cm-100cm each window) Bi-fold doors  - I probably don't need planning?

And to enlarge the current balcony to the one in the diagram - if any part of the whole balcony (including the current balcony you can see in the picture) sits on a stable garden area <300mm I probably don't need planning?

Cheers

It's not always easy to say if planning permission is or isn't required, however it looks like you don't need planning permission for either the windows or balcony provided:

1) It's not a conservation area or similar as different rules can apply.

2) The balcony will be less than 300mm above ground measured at the house.

3) The balcony won't affect the amenity value of a neighbour or cause an overlooking issue.

4) Permitted development rights haven't been removed (either by a planning condition or the Article 4 directive that Ferdinand mentioned, these are more common in conservation areas).

5) The new house won't be more than 50% bigger then the original house when first built.

6) The total area of balcony won't use up more than 50% of the original garden.

If in doubt ask the planners but sometimes they can be reluctant to give advice unless you pay them a "pre-application fee".