Soil Investigation Report Request By Building Inspector

I have spoken with my building inspector over the phone for the first time, for my self build (detached 3 bed, built up area with houses all around). They have asked for my Soil Investigation Report. I did not think it was compulsory to produce a Soil Investigation Report for a single self build property? Do I need to produce a report if my inspector requests one? Or can I explain that it's not compulsory and provide a British Geological Survey map for my location? Any thoughts or experiences, thanks.

Why do they want one? Its usually to justify the foundation design. For example there could be clay soil or made up ground etc. He may also have said "soil condition report" when he meant "percolation test" to justify the soakaways design. Sometimes these two are done together.

We needed a soil condition report because we had  a clay and trees (but it proved we didn't need especially deep foundations so potentially we saved money) and a round feature on old maps which might have been a pond (it had been filled with rubbish and showed we needed piled foundations under the garage).

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Temp said:

Why do they want one? Its usually to justify the foundation design. For example there could be clay soil or made up ground etc. He may also have said "soil condition report" when he meant "percolation test" to justify the soakaways design. Sometimes these two are done together.

We needed a soil condition report because we had  a clay and trees (but it proved we didn't need especially deep foundations so potentially we saved money) and a round feature on old maps which might have been a pond (it showed we needed piled foundations under the garage).

Thanks, how much was your report may I ask?

Sorry it was 12 years ago. I'll try and look it up tomorrow as I can't remember.

When you ask for a quote the company will ask you if you have a digger available because a percentage of the cost is getting a digger on site and digging tye two or three 1-2 meter deep holes they need.

Ah no i remember. We were able to get a copy of a report done by the previous owner of the site. Had to pay just a nominal fee to get it assigned over. So we didn't have to pay full cost in the end.

2 minutes ago, Temp said:

Ah no i remember. We were able to get a copy of a report done by the previous owner of the site. Had to pay just a nominal fee to get it assigned over. So we didn't have to pay full cost in the end.

No probs thanks

I think I would have a scoping conversation to ask him just what it is that he needs to know, and what it relates to. Examples could be soil type, beating capacity, percolation, contamination, underground gas from the landfill next door etc.

You could explain the query as being so that you can properly brief a potential surveyor.

That would I think help and is a genuine reason - then come back here and see if there are any good and effective ways to do it . Potentially you could do a test yourself, or modify your design etc. Or indeed ... you may require a full Condition Report.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

If it is of any help We had a soil survey and used Geo-smart Which cost £500 two years ago But was significantly lower than other quotes 

As above Clay and lots of trees 

mine was in the planning conditions So no choice 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnny Jekyll said:

Thanks, how much was your report may I ask?

We had one done recently but it also included a drainage design for a soak away and treatment plant and it was around £1k 

• Like 1

Ha, my inspector turned up to introduce himself, was at pains to point out he was not a planner (as they have such a bad rep around here), said it’s clay here innit, and some trees so 800mm deep should be ok.! Dig it out and give me a call, called him and he popped round and said carry on ? he then said as you have the digger on site you could dig a soakaway, I pointed out a soakaway on solid yellow clay was called a Swimming pool!,, and I suggested I piped surface water into the ditch next to it and he agreed, result!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I think I would have a scoping conversation to ask him just what it is that he needs to know, and what it relates to. Examples could be soil type, beating capacity, percolation, contamination, underground gas from the landfill next door etc.

You could explain the query as being so that you can properly brief a potential surveyor.

That would I think help and is a genuine reason - then come back here and see if there are any good and effective ways to do it . Potentially you could do a test yourself, or modify your design etc. Or indeed ... you may require a full Condition Report.

Ferdinand

That's good advice thank you.