RCD required on RCBO protected circuit ? and laying SWA

The manufacturers of our digester has specified an IP66 rated RCD protected socket for the supply for the poo tank bubbler.

The dedicated circuit planned for that supply (SWA 2.5,  T+E,  buried - 10 meters or so) is already RCBO protected. Do I also need RCD protection on the twin socket , or can I simply fit an IP66 socket in the knowledge that the circuit is already protected by the RCBO?

I'd like to bury the SWA cable in the same trench  that I dig for the poo tank pipe. Bet that's verboten innit??

Thanks in advance @ProDave or @JSHarris or @Onoff or anyone clever enough to know the answer ☺️

I’d be going with an IP66 cable outlet with switch and neon and cutting the plug off as I can never understand why for stuff such as this they expect it to be plugged into a standard 3 pin ....

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’d be going with an IP66 cable outlet with switch and neon and cutting the plug off as I can never understand why for stuff such as this they expect it to be plugged into a standard 3 pin ....

So it's properly fused maybe?

Edit: My bad, you linked a fused one.

Edited by Onoff

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

[...]

I can never understand why for stuff such as this they expect it to be plugged into a standard 3 pin ....

Because the user can simply take the plug out of the socket: a DIY job. If its hard wired, its a sparky job innit?

No need for an rcd socket. It's just a spur off the main circuit that's already got rcd protection.

TLC do a BG one with a neon in too if you fancy that.

If you go bottom entry with the cable make sure to use a proper gland and secure the cable as well as protecting from anything "chewey". Don't know the layout but you could do in pvc 20mm conduit.

Some might insist on nom 300mm separation. Let's face it water, gas & leccy have been known to use the same duct when it suits!

How deep is the poo pipe? Ideally put anything carrying "wet" services under anything electrical. Cable ideally at about 18" down with a length of tape just under the "grass" in case anyone goes there with a digger.

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

The manufacturers of our digester has specified an IP66 rated RCD protected socket for the supply for the poo tank bubbler.

The dedicated circuit planned for that supply (SWA 2.5,  T+E,  buried - 10 meters or so) is already RCBO protected. Do I also need RCD protection on the twin socket , or can I simply fit an IP66 socket in the knowledge that the circuit is already protected by the RCBO?

I'd like to bury the SWA cable in the same trench  that I dig for the poo tank pipe. Bet that's verboten innit??

Thanks in advance @ProDave or @JSHarris or @Onoff or anyone clever enough to know the answer ☺️

If the supply is protected then no you do not need to protect it again locally the whole shebang will be protected.

Also, if it was me, I would not spec a socket but a fused spur, remove the plug from the cable and hard-wire it in. For many reasons this is better, however, I will accept your situation may be more suited to having it plugged, but on something like a poo-bubbler, I cannot see why, it's not like you are going to unplug it, shift it a bit, pick up that pound coin you dropped, slide it back and plug it in again. It also removes the possibility of someone unplugging it and plugging in a lawnmower or something. 

Edited by Carrerahill

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Totally agree Peter.

Generally it removed need for a qualified electrician. It also depends on the categorisation of the appliance, it may fall into the category that must be supplied with a pre-fitted plug. I personally think it ought not to need a plug, however, the manufacturer may aim this as a domestic appliance (i.e. it may state it is not suitable for commercial use) therefore it must make domestic provisions. If they didn't put a plug on it then an argument could be made they are claiming it is commercial... it's one of these ones.

Part ii - Fitted plug provisions

7 Part II introduces a new requirement that most domestic electrical appliances which operate at a voltage of not less than 200 volts must be supplied fitted with a correctly fused and approved standard plug. As an alternative to fitting a standard plug an appliance may be fitted with a non-UK plug provided that an approved conversion plug is fitted.

8 For the purposes of these Regulations an appliance ordinarily intended for domestic use is taken to mean one that is intended for private use at home.

9 Responsibility for fitting a standard plug or converter plug will fall to the first supplier of the appliance in the UK.

10 The "fitted plug" provisions will not apply to those appliances that are listed at the appendix.

Right my windows have just arrived I am going to look at them!

Edited by Carrerahill