nod

Finally got my Hetas Cert through today So BC can sign us off this afternoon 

Our infumous disabled ramp can now go 

No more jokes about skateboarding 

345F71BF-6B7C-422E-B254-5E2103379460.jpeg

F105FBFC-62A6-4AFF-86CE-9A7A80E85E41.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/05/2019 at 11:34, gravelld said:

@nod what finish is your wall - what is the colour of the finish? Looks nice. And the ramp looks fun.

Sorry just seen your post 

I used Stirling K rend 

Scratch coated and meshed above each window Used two coats of K rend silicone directly onto blockwork No need for scratch coat 

four days work for myself and my son 

The weather was horrible 

A63A86DF-E740-42EB-A3C0-2720C1A2AC05.jpeg

E2346E05-5406-4C91-84D0-FD3354F2B41F.jpeg

D70AD4D1-89C1-4340-8579-E68BD71946C4.jpeg

DDA0C326-1CC7-4398-A823-0887A474AE74.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/05/2019 at 09:47, nod said:

[...]

No more jokes about skateboarding 

[...]

urinalcropped.thumb.jpg.e079ab6db1730a80d74d29263cf44524.jpg

Of far more concern is the removal of the urinal for your garden gnomes.  I thought that was a very socially aware touch in your build Gary.

Very accessibility agenda. Full Marks, fella.

I mean what are the poor gnomes going to do now?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Of far more concern is the removal of the urinal for your garden gnomes.  I thought that was a very socially aware touch in your build Gary.

Very accessibility agenda. Full Marks, fella.

I mean what are the poor gnomes going to do now?

I think this is a diversion because you are both in Lancashire.

It is clearly a rocket launcher for the purposes of defence from the Yorkies.

1 hour ago, Christine Walker said:

Did you honestly get signed off with this ramp?? Wouldn’t happen up here!

Yes all signed off

Two different BC

If you read the disabled acces 

Nothing says it has to be tamac or concrete  

I did it exactly the spec that I was asked 1-20 1200 x1200 flat level acces 100 mil upstands 

Listed in sign off as temporary Disabled acces 

Should be a problem anywhere 

He’s even entered us in an award scheme By the time the photos are taken a permant DA acces will be in place 

11 minutes ago, newhome said:

Because Scotland has different regs and a wooden ramp wouldn’t be allowed. 

you could be right ,but alot  of council buildings have removable ramps at town halls  and places -which are only there when they are open .and they don,t even comply with the angle 

so that would be a good example --only need ramp when it needs to be used

8 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you could be right ,but alot  of council buildings have removable ramps at town halls  and places -which are only there when they are open .and they don,t even comply with the angle 

Exactly 

9 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I couldn’t find anything in the English regs that said No Wooden construction 

Id be really interested to see how the Scots rules differ 

To save me trolling through like I did with the English regs 

Paste and copy the section that prohibits the use of timber 

Also you have to remember this has been listed as temporary on our sign off 

12 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

Building control are really fussy up here about it for a new build. I imagine most of the council buildings are retrofits that like renovations don’t have to comply with the current domestic regs. 

35 minutes ago, newhome said:

Building control are really fussy up here about it for a new build. I imagine most of the council buildings are retrofits that like renovations don’t have to comply with the current domestic regs. 

We have several hundred new builds going up in our area 

Same to local authority BC that have visited ours 

They where less happy with the new builds across As they said the DA  access didn’t comply

No level landing in front of the door Paving sloping from either side 

If I had built it in concrete or flags It would have been pretty obvious what my intentions where 

I haven’t got away with anything Just simply followed the rules

I would say to anyone who needed to get signed off and wasn’t ready to grade the outside yet 

Try it and if refused Ask BC to show you the paragraph that prohibits the use of wood 

It worked for us 

1 hour ago, nod said:

Paste and copy the section that prohibits the use of timber 

There isn't a prohibition in Scottish regs for timber ramps. My house design has a timber ramp - no problem. What they are sniffy about is people obviously putting in something temporary which will be ripped out (presumably, if they don't know it's going to be replaced by something proper, not that I've head of any like that before this).

6 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

There isn't a prohibition in Scottish regs for timber ramps. My house design has a timber ramp - no problem. What they are sniffy about is people obviously putting in something temporary which will be ripped out (presumably, if they don't know it's going to be replaced by something proper, not that I've head of any like that before this).

Pretty much the same as England then I’ve all the paving arriving  on  Friday So a few months  time the paving will comply 

But I was very conscious of our vat claim as we have been in since December 

I think the point I was trying to make was Some in here may find them selfs at the top of there budget getting there House liveable would be the main priority 

Or May even  need  the vat back to 

complete 

The way I’ve gone about it allows you to comply with building regs and keep your wallet in your pocket 

I spent a £100 on materials

and an afternoon in the workshop

Two hours fitting

Who knows I may have started a trend  

50 minutes ago, nod said:

I think the point I was trying to make was Some in here may find them selfs at the top of there budget getting there House liveable would be the main priority 

I believe @ProDave is looking at getting a temp habitation certificate here in Scotland to allow him to claim the VAT back. Not sure if the ramp needs to be in for that? 

Actually getting a temp habitation certificate isn’t a bad strategy to reclaim the VAT IMO as HMRC can hardly claim that the house was complete eons ago if there are still things preventing full sign off, and that would mean more than decorative things. You could presumably deliberately leave a couple of things pending for full sign off to be achieved. 

1 minute ago, newhome said:

I believe @ProDave is looking at getting a temp habitation certificate here in Scotland to allow him to claim the VAT back. Not sure if the ramp needs to be in for that? 

No, the ramp does not have to be there.  The property has to be basically safe, working heating and hot water, working kitchen, at least 1 working bathroom and WC and an electrical certificate.

I hope to get the temporary habitation towards the end of this year and use that for my VAT clam.  That of course means I won't be able to reclaim the VAT on anything after that, but the largest remaining purchase will be the doors and windows for the sun room, so I should still be able to get those "supply and fit" VAT free.

the whole ramp subject  is load of crap anyway

what do they say you have to do if you are in flood zone?

common sense says you build your house out of of the ground above flooding level  and major flood areas any new houses the  garages should be below house ,so that is the only thing to suffer .you might get a garage you can fit a car in then as well--

I also object strongly to government paying for flood damage to private houses --it was the owners  choice not to insure it.

I object to having my premium loaded to pay for others flood damage -i would happily take a lower premium if they dropped the flooding clause 

I live on a hill  ,same goes subsidence +earth quake--house is built on  granite rock 

I know they will say its  a very small  part of the premium for those things,

burgulary is another one --it is not loaded anything like enough for the bad areas +other pay well over .any break in makes the papers here --not been any for a very long time,but they are quick enough to load you if you  say you go on extended holidays  a lot

so it should be easy to give me a reduction --but they are quick enough to load a premium if you are in a flood area 

the presumption must be that everyone is going to be in a wheel chair .

the common sense approach would be that private housing cannot get a grant for a ramp  under any circumstances .. but cost of a ramp ,if  the council has to provide one is a charge back  on sale of the property when they die or sell on .

not make all houses have stupid ramps or be so low to the ground as they do now..

6 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

not make all houses have stupid ramps or be so low to the ground as they do now..

There are all sorts of ridiculous things that every house has to comply with currently. The ramp is one. The other is that every new home must have a wheelchair accessible WC on the ground floor and preferably room for a shower too. The result of that is that 1 bed starter homes have downstairs loos that are almost larger than their kitchens. IMO building regs should not be a one size fits all, there should be exceptions for certain types of homes that are aimed at a market where it is pretty unlikely that someone would be or become disabled. Not completely impossible, but if we want to tackle the housing crisis there should also be focus on that rather than mandating every accessible clause going. Hardly any of the small flat pack homes often held up as a solution to tackle building small, cost effective homes comply with British building regs either because they are too small, or not able to meet the accessible bathroom criteria. Yet they are acceptable elsewhere in Europe. I'm not saying do away with the need to have these things entirely, just don't mandate them for houses under a certain size targeted at first time buyers. 

• Like 1

I agree the ramp thing is rubbish when you’re building a house for yourselves, if we needed a ramp we would build it but we also would have to make a lot of other adjustments if either of us ended up in a wheelchair, we’d never get upstairs for a start with the position of the staircase there’s no way you could fit a stairlift, kitchen units would be too high etc etc etc 

Should we decide to sell the house I very much doubt anyone disabled would be interested in it and if they were they would have to make all these changes.

We had two goes at our ramp in our last house, first one BC wouldn’t accept, we actually had a disabled viewer when we put it on the market but it was clear for them to see that although they could get into the house they couldn’t have lived in it without major adjustments, hopefully our bricking will be along this week to build the ramp!