Land acquired - Cornwall

BotusBuild

Hello everyone,

Been reading some of the forums on this site to figure out what's next as we recently finalised on a 0.5 acre plot in Cornwall. It has OPP, and I believe the next step is to get Full PP in order that we can start building. Or, have I have got that wrong - I see that some start some work after getting OPP so that OPP remains valid.

The other question I have is whether I need to use an Architect for the FPP process, or is there a way to DIY, or to do it cheaper than the quotes I am getting.

Cheers

Stuart

Yes next step is to get Full Planning Permission.

Do NOT start work until you have got your CIL exemption sorted out in writing. It's a multi step process. One slip and you might be hit with  £20,000 bill.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/planning/planning-policy/adopted-plans/community-infrastructure-levy-cil/

Was introduced in January this year. The rate varies with location from £0 to £400 per square foot. See the charging schedule. Self builders are exempt if you follow the process...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/community-infrastructure-levy#Self-Build-Exemption

Edited by Temp

If you understand the planning process, and can draw, you can apply for full PP yourself but I wouldn't recommend it first time around. An Architectural Technician or Plan drawer will be cheaper than an Architect but check what experience they have.

I think it depends on whether you know what you want, for example we knew exactly what we wanted and I have fairly extensive building knowledge, if you are hoping an architect will come up with a design for you then it’s an architect you require. I am not a fan of some architects as I have found most try to design what they want and not what the customer wants and don’t stick to budgets. I am sure there are some good architects out there, get recommendations to find a good one. 

@ joe90,

The plot we bought came with OPP and a design that we liked (eco, contemporary/modern), and something I believe I can build mostly myself. There are some tweaks that we want to make, but not a wholesale change. I am considering use of just an architectural technician but need to understand more about what they can and cannot do. Any pointers to where I can read about that would be welcome ?

@ Temp,

From Cornwall's own documentation, Form 1: Assumption of liability - "This form must be received by Cornwall Council before commencement of the CIL liable development." Looking at the form, it requires the planning permission reference and I am assuming the FPP reference will be different to the OPP reference, so I guess you are correct about waiting.

Cheers

Stuart

@BotusBuild just confirm that what you haven't got is actually full planning with reserved matters.

Some of these can be done without additional plans - materials, landscape plan etc - but some will need more detailed plans. Its now very rare for single plots to get OPP, tends to be used by larger schemes purely due to cost.

17 hours ago, BotusBuild said:

I am considering use of just an architectural technician but need to understand more about what they can and cannot do

Basically an architect designs your build, an artist of sorts, different architects have different styles. An A.T. Simply puts your requirements on paper/CAD for the planning/building regs. Others here may have a different view!

21 hours ago, BotusBuild said:

@ joe90,

The plot we bought came with OPP and a design that we liked (eco, contemporary/modern), and something I believe I can build mostly myself. There are some tweaks that we want to make, but not a wholesale change

I would be surprised that there would be a house design with OPP, are you sure you don't have full planning already?

Feel free to send me the planning application number via private message

Edited by Moonshine

6 hours ago, Moonshine said:

I would be surprised that there would be a house design with OPP, are you sure you don't have full planning already?

We bought our plot with OPP and designs for a bungalow. In fact we bought it with OPP for the bungalow, a chalet bungalow and a pair of semis (four plots in all) and all had drawings. We did a deal with a local small developer for three of the plots, kept the best one and then applied for detailed planning to build a chalet bungalow rather than the bungalow design for which the OPP had been granted.