Parquet Question

Hi,

We have parquet throughout our downstairs room (front, back and entrance/hall). It needs some sanding but in-between each room there's a room of the oak that is raised up. I'm trying to fathom why it would be like this. Is it a design feature or has something happened to make them raise up? Also, what would be the best solution to getting them level with the rest of the floor so it looks flush and stops being a trip hazard? Would it be sand the tops or pull them out and dig out what's underneath then put re set them?

IMG_2924.jpg

I bet there was previously carpet over one section and the oak was laid to be level with the carpet.

The oak room is too high just to sand it off.

If its a small room you could lift it and sort it, but it is very expensive to have parquet floor fitted properly.

I assume the lip is just in the doorway

In your situation I would try lifting that "soldier course" of oak and taper them to loose the lip, or you might be able to do it in situ

Edited by bassanclan

6 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

I bet there was previously carpet over one section and the oak was laid to be level with the carpet.

The oak room is too high just to sand it off.

If its a small room you could lift it and sort it, but it is very expensive to have parquet floor fitted properly.

I assume the lip is just in the doorway

In your situation I would try lifting that "soldier course" of oak and taper them to loose the lip, or you might be able to do it in situ

Possibly. Yes, it's only a one block width strip into each room comprising of 11 blocks. I just want that strip flush with the rest of the floor. 

That’s a threshold that’s been replaced over time as they aren’t the same size or age by the looks of it to the others. 

I’d take them up and look at planing the backs as if you sand or plane the front you will lose the patina

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That’s a threshold that’s been replaced over time as they aren’t the same size or age by the looks of it to the others. 

I’d take them up and look at planing the backs as if you sand or plane the front you will lose the patina

Thanks. Good plan. The only issue is the backs/underneath are covered in rock hard bitchumen. Just got to work out how to get that stuff off. 

17 minutes ago, Invader75 said:

Thanks. Good plan. The only issue is the backs/underneath are covered in rock hard bitchumen. Just got to work out how to get that stuff off. 

Hot air gun & paint scraper.