Floor height

Hi all,

I am attempting to refit my own bathroom after the bathroom fitter  let me down ?, at present I have a rotten and very thin chipboard floor fitted to the floor joists with a thin laminate layer and want to tear it up and replace with a decent floor.

I wanted to put down a new 22mm chipboard/ply and then a 10mm tile on top but this makes the floor level much higher than the original and the transition into the bathroom from the hall will surely be a trip hazard? does anyone have any advice on what is usually done to adapt to a thicker floor? the hallway has carpet.

Thanks guys?

Joists 150mm...??

Can you fit battens / 3x2 inside each joist at 22mm below the top, then cut and fit 22mm chipboard between the joists..? Then overlay this with 18mm ply, glued and screwed at close centres (200mm) and then tile on that...? 10mm tile seems pretty thick when you then add 2-3mm for adhesive..?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Joists 150mm...??

Can you fit battens / 3x2 inside each joist at 22mm below the top, then cut and fit 22mm chipboard between the joists..? Then overlay this with 18mm ply, glued and screwed at close centres (200mm) and then tile on that...? 10mm tile seems pretty thick when you then add 2-3mm for adhesive..?

Oh yes that's a good idea, I was also thinking about taking 5-7mm of the top of the joists with a planer as its a small bathroom and would not be a bad job. Your idea would really drop it back down and maybe the option I will go for ? Thanks PeterW

4 minutes ago, 8ball said:

I was also thinking about taking 5-7mm of the top of the joists with a planer

Just don't….. it will be more hassle and not as useful as dropping the inset panels into the floor.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Just don't….. it will be more hassle and not as useful as dropping the inset panels into the floor.

The "Just don't" ?

OK Peter I'll make sure the planer stays out of the bathroom and again thanks for the top idea ? .

I'll be using a stone resin tray for the shower will this be OK to lay directly onto the joists with adhesive of course making sure its level?

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Still wants something under it - can you just put 6mm ply under the tray and that will make sure nothing moves.

OK will do Peter

On 08/05/2019 at 15:18, Juj said:

How about hardie backer board? Assuming you're tiling of course.

Sorry Juj I missed your comment, yes the Hardie backer board is something I'm going to consider ?