Getting the cables upstairs

Basic question i'm sure but as usual with my questions I cant find anyone asking the question the same way as I would.

Assuming (as is normally the case) my consumer unit is downstairs; when i'm running cables upstairs, do I run then through a conduit which gets hidden somewhere, or up through a stud wall before they all get run down to the various points of use (socket, lightswitch, light fitting etc)?

Usually the cables will just be run up/down through a wall, with them being located/protected as required.  Depending on the layout there may be a need to protect the cables, but normally it should be possible to just run them in a safe zone OK without any need for special protection.

Don't forget you can run cables horizontally as well, so for sockets I go horizontally from socket to socket rather than up and down to each socket.

The consumer unit creates a safe zone so straight up or down or sideways from that is okay.,

29 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Usually the cables will just be run up/down through a wall, with them being located/protected as required. 

So just chase up a wall maybe behind a rim joist or some such?

32 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Don't forget you can run cables horizontally as well, so for sockets I go horizontally from socket to socket rather than up and down to each socket

When going from room to room do you run back up the wall just to avoid doorways etc?

PS marginally off topic but has just occured to me. When doing the cable bashing then does it make logistical sense once having marked all the socket positions to run around with a chasing doo-dar (thinking block inner leaf/isotex type materials) creating the channels as a single task instead of (chase, run cable, chase, run cable ...)?

I think I would aim to design out chases as far as possible by socket placement etc eg inside stud walls and back to back. All the way around a door is a hell of a long way.

If you are new building then posijoists with webbing are one way.

The trick I used in my last restoration to solve the upstairs downstairs issue was to buy a bungalow ?.

All my runs to the loft for fire alarms etc were in places eg in cupboards where I could put conduit.

My circuits around the house were all in channels under the floating floor, so if I need to I can get to everything, then behind skirting. 

I am am not totally convinced yet as there was buggeration with some doors, but I think it is a net benefit for maintainability.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

inside stud walls and back to back

beware of this - it promotes sound transfer between rooms and also compromises fire integrity unless you use intumescent liners.