New to self building

Diane

Welcome. 

I recommend "How to find and buy a building plot" by Roy Speer and others. Try for most recent edition but some things may still be out of date.

Has the plot already got planning permission?

Measure the plot, is it the dimensions claimed on the paperwork/title plan? Are all the features (fence posts, walls, distances to other buildings etc) in agreement with the title plan?

Are there services nearby?

Who owns any land between plot and services?

Any services under or over that will need moving?

Who owns any grass verge between plot and road?

Are any of the services at capacity/need upgrading before you will be allowed to connect to them?

Is it uphill to the nearest sewer?

Any restrictive covenants in the title deeds?

Any rare animals/wildlife/archeology?

Will soakaways work? If not are you allowed to put rainwater into the sewer? For not what will you do with it?

Any known ground condition issues? Mine workings, contamination etc

Any footpaths or neighbours claiming a right of access?

Does the asking price make financial sense? Eg Would the cost of the plot plus cost to build end up more/less than the finished house is worth?

Sure there are others.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

Welcome. 

Another one for the list. Does the planning permission have a CIL payment attached to it? As a self builder you can apply for an exemption but you MUST apply for it before you start any work and follow the rules to the letter otherwise the exemption can be cancelled. 

And another. Do you know what the ground conditions are like? Estimating foundations can be one the the biggest unknowns in a build and the costs can mount up. 

It will also be worth trying to get some indicative quotes for connection of services as sometimes  the costs can be eye watering. 

Does the plot have any physical access constraints?

A weak, steep or narrow approach road. Overhanging trees or power lines.

A loaded concrete wagon is about 30 tons. Roof trusses and picture windows are awkward and delivery of a 38' long static caravan can cause high anxiety when delivered down a narrow country lane.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 17:25, Dreadnaught said:

Welcome @Diane. Congratulations on finding a plot! I was in your position about a year ago. In this post I listed some of the things I looked out for:

I am sure others will be along soon with more help.

Great, thank you. We welcome any advice / information :)

On 07/05/2019 at 17:25, Dreadnaught said:

Welcome @Diane. Congratulations on finding a plot! I was in your position about a year ago. In this post I listed some of the things I looked out for:

I am sure others will be along soon with more help.

Great, thank you

On 07/05/2019 at 17:36, Temp said:

Welcome. 

I recommend "How to find and buy a building plot" by Roy Speer and others. Try for most recent edition but some things may still be out of date.

Has the plot already got planning permission?

Measure the plot, is it the dimensions claimed on the paperwork/title plan? Are all the features (fence posts, walls, distances to other buildings etc) in agreement with the title plan?

Are there services nearby?

Who owns any land between plot and services?

Any services under or over that will need moving?

Who owns any grass verge between plot and road?

Are any of the services at capacity/need upgrading before you will be allowed to connect to them?

Is it uphill to the nearest sewer?

Any restrictive covenants in the title deeds?

Any rare animals/wildlife/archeology?

Will soakaways work? If not are you allowed to put rainwater into the sewer? For not what will you do with it?

Any known ground condition issues? Mine workings, contamination etc

Any footpaths or neighbours claiming a right of access?

Does the asking price make financial sense? Eg Would the cost of the plot plus cost to build end up more/less than the finished house is worth?

Sure there are others.

Wonderful Thank you :)

Thank you guys. We need;

Topographical survey –to establish boundaries etc, & location of Oak tree in next doors garden close to our boundary

Trial pit & percolation survey – for surface and foul water treatment, as no suitable mains sewerage, therefore a domestic sewerage treatment plant is required.

If anyone could recommend a company in Shropshire or Staffordshire, the plot is Market Drayton area.

18 minutes ago, Diane said:

Topographical survey –to establish boundaries etc, & location of Oak tree in next doors garden close to our boundary

Depending how close your works are to that oak tree, you may need a arboriculturalist, unless it has already be dealt with in the planning for the plot.

The tree will have root protection area, which is calculated based on the requirements of BS5837-2012, basically find out the diameter of the oak tree trunk about 1.5m off the ground, multiply the truck diameter by 12, and that is the radius of circle of the root protection area you have to observe around the tree.

On 10/05/2019 at 15:51, Moonshine said:

Depending how close your works are to that oak tree, you may need a arboriculturalist, unless it has already be dealt with in the planning for the plot.

The tree will have root protection area, which is calculated based on the requirements of BS5837-2012, basically find out the diameter of the oak tree trunk about 1.5m off the ground, multiply the truck diameter by 12, and that is the radius of circle of the root protection area you have to observe around the tree.

On 10/05/2019 at 15:51, Moonshine said:

Yes they did say in the opp that we will need a arboriculture report because of the oak. Thank you we will check the diameter of the tree, that will make a difference to where we can put the garage. Soooo glad I found this forum, you've all been so helpful already! :)