possible a major refurb/complete rebuild of ruin

Hi guys+gals .

still  plot chasing ,but one of them has a rather large  granite ruin 

I say ruin  its really just missing roof and all interiors .anything not stone is gone or beyond redemption  and all the original features like fireplaces,slates  etc ,etc have been robbed over the years

all exterior walls are perfect even though some trees have grown up right next to walls  there is no sign of any damage to any walls chimney stacks  etc 

all the pointing of the walls is perfect . last occupation was in the 60,s 

the question is :

Do I flatten this very substantial  building   and start again 

or  basically build another house inside it ?

even though walls are very thick  there will be very  little insulation value ,but it seems  a shame to flatten  it .

anyone done anything like this or know of examples?

i would love to post pictures ,but as the deal is not done yet  that would be foolish .

How much space on the plot?

My inclination would be a basic re roof of the original building as a workspace / store, and the new dwelling as a separate building.  Perhaps join the new to the old if space is tight?

Someone here started a steading conversion, until they found the original "foundations" were about 6" deep, then it turned into a rebuild, just using some of the stone to re face it around a timber frame.

plot is very large ,but still need to find out what is considered to be the original area occupied by the house and out buildings + garden ( curtilage as planning call it)

this is  built on bedrock  I think -,10 dia +30ft "trees (scyamores) -growing out of bottom on walls have moved nothing ,so must be pretty solid under house 

it has  metal air bricks, so was a suspended floor ,at least in some parts - I am guessing these were retro fitted at some time  when a new floor was fitted

it is shown on a map from 1852  ,but cannot say its same house of course

will be impossible to see till the inside is cleaned out --so could be hard to get enough insulation under new slab

It used to be common (you see it all over the islands for instance) to leave a derelict house and just build a new one alongside it.  If you have the space that will get you a better house and I would still re roof the ruin as a work space.

Talk to the planners and see if they would be happy with that.

Do the planners believe residential use has been abandoned? If so they will treat any proposal as a new house rather than a replacement. That may have S106 consequences although you should be exempt from the CIL as a self builder.

13 minutes ago, Temp said:

Do the planners believe residential use has been abandoned? If so they will treat any proposal as a new house rather than a replacement. That may have S106 consequences although you should be exempt from the CIL as a self builder.

That is less likely to happen in Scotland. Presumably as it is now for sale, the vendor has got at least outline PP to revuild.