Lindab: does the exact specification matter?

Our BC submission specifies 

Lindab R Line gutter- 150mm half round, with integrated hoppers and down pipes. Copper
Metallic Finish ref. 778

The price of that particular line  (Rain Line, sometimes called R Line, ) is too high. I am happy to accept the diameter of the gutter and downpipe as in line with the regulations. But there's little point in the copper metallic finish guttering (not pure copper, therefore) when their galvanised products are more than adequate.  

Could Building Control insist on  copper metallic finish?

I ask because it occurs to me that were we to - with a rush of blood to the bank balance -  fit the copper version, over time that would turn green. Colour shouldn't matter, it seems. So why not simply fit their galvanised steel? 

(And buy a new car with the money saved ?)

8 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Do you mean Planning Permission?

Building control won't care what material your gutters are made out of. You could fit Upvc and they would be happy. Planning is a different issue.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

The price of that particular line  (Rain Line, sometimes called R Line, ) is too high. I am happy to accept the diameter of the gutter and downpipe as in line with the regulations. But there's little point in the copper metallic finish guttering (not pure copper, therefore) when their galvanised products are more than adequate.  

I ask because it occurs to me that were we to - with a rush of blood to the bank balance -  fit the copper version, over time that would turn green. Colour shouldn't matter, it seems. So why not simply fit their galvanised steel? 

(And buy a new car with the money saved ?)

What does your planning say/show? That's what controls finishes.

There's no planning-specific statement to that effect.

In which case, the answer seems to be put up whatever I find in the back of my Land Rover.....

Thanks - just me being Germanic and over-focused on rools and regs.  Bloody tiresome.

• Like 1

I would now go with 150mm or 125mm deepline as a matter of course on any building. Cost difference is negligible and the increased flow capacity means you get very few overflows in extreme rain. Keeping tight bends to a minimum is also a good move - Lindab do really nice swan neck downpipes in 85mm round and they flow very well.

Unless there is an aesthetic reason to fit Lindab, plastic is a lot cheaper and easier to fit and will outlast most of us.

If you are going with Lindab you should use proper cutting shears. Chop saw and holesaws are not allowed as the cuts need to be clean for the galv to work.

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Unless there is an aesthetic reason to fit Lindab, plastic is a lot cheaper and easier to fit and will outlast most of us.

We have Lindab and found it easy enough to fit, if a bit different to plastic. I like it because you don't get the cracking sounds as it expands in the sun.