Contemporary fencing

I have an opportunity to make a practice run on a section of fencing and gate at the rear of my plot and want to make an attempt at the new linear boarded horizontal narrow plank that seems very popular at the moment. I am thinking 4 inch vertical posts with horizontal 95mm wide planks nailed directly to the posts. The whole lot painted (probably before assembly). Finger gaps vertically. My query is would a softwood be worth considering for the horizontals? 

I saw this done and they put a 5 degree chamfer on the top edge of each board (actually cut a 150mm board in two) to stop any water settling on the top edges and it looked very good. 

1 hour ago, EverHopefull said:

I have an opportunity to make a practice run on a section of fencing and gate at the rear of my plot and want to make an attempt at the new linear boarded horizontal narrow plank that seems very popular at the moment. I am thinking 4 inch vertical posts with horizontal 95mm wide planks nailed directly to the posts. The whole lot painted (probably before assembly). Finger gaps vertically. My query is would a softwood be worth considering for the horizontals? 

Lovely post some pics.  I would have liked this type of fencing but with the howling gales we get here it was safer to go with vertical hit and miss let the wind through.

Do paint first if you can.....mine is still not all painted, its like the Forth bridge!

• Haha 1

It seems that was not enough for us @jack we were advised against. We are very exposed on the top of a ridge.  Shame because I liked the horizontal very much, the vertical matches my cladding which is also vertical so keeps a theme.  With some things I do wonder if contractors told me things were not suitable because they wanted an easier life LOL

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lizzie said:

With some things I do wonder if contractors told me things were not suitable because they wanted an easier life 

All of the fencing up here has gaps between it, whether hit and miss or single sided because otherwise it just blows down. Took a bit of getting used to after living in the south of England where everything is closed in. I painted my fencing before it was installed and that’s much easier but it’s all needed redoing since and took forever so I can relate to the Forth Bridge comment ? 

• Thanks 1

The parts to create the "test" fence will be painted in a dark grey, rather like the on trend RAL aluminium window frames of the moment. SWMBO and the offspring cliam at this time that they will be able to take part in the "build" project. Personally I can see three pieces being painted and then me finishing the rest! Based on historic references of course.

• Haha 1