Timber frame make-up for hut

janelondon

Hi all, looking for some advice on insulation for the walls, roof & ceiling for our shepherd's hut side project that we're doing alongside the main build. The aim is to create a well-insulated and comfortable hut to live in while the build's going on. It's a small manageable size (probably 6m x 2.4m) and I'm aiming to do this cost-efficiently by sourcing parts separately from eBay etc. 

What sort of timber frame make-up / insulation detail should I go for? Current thinking for the walls (external to internal)...

- Wriggly tin exterior

- Breather membrane

- 9mm OSB?

- Timber stud with 90mm frametherm insulation

- VCL

- 35mm service cavity batten

- Plasterboard wall 

Does this make sense? Is it overkill? Can I replicate this for the curved ceiling & floor?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, nod said:

Quite a few on here have lived in static caravans 

Might be a bit more comfy than a she

Hoping to keep the hut at the end of the build as it would sit nicely in the meadows (subject to PP). We've looked into the off-the-rack huts and they can be very nice and comfy! But fancy the challenge of piecing it together ourselves... Famous last words. 

Tin roof sheds can get very hot in summer. Not sure what to recommend. My shed stays impressively cool but it's got a concrete floor and tiled roof. Walls are oak boards, air gap, membrane, WBP, studwork filled with cheap loft insulation, more WPB.

• Thanks 1

Very timely thread as a am planning a Shepard’s hut fir our meadow now the house is nearly finished. @janelondon you don’t need planning if it has wheels and can be moved (even with a crane) as it is classed as temporary. We hope to use it as a counselling room fir my wife’s business and drinky poos in the summer. I did find a neat small woodburner on Ebay 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Coal-Wood-Burner-stove-heater-BOAT-CAMPER-YURT-SHEPHERDS-HUT-SHED-MAN-CAVE/132514653615

I was worried about condensation and thought similar to Jane on the wall build up, but using tongue and groove to line the inside. I like @SteamyTea curved I beam but won’t be parking a car on the roof so feel safe with that one.

Yes - def planning for a woodburner. Thanks for that link @joe90! What size hut are you going for and how are you planning to build? I'm most likely ordering the chassis from a local steel fabricator and getting timber from a local merchant to stick-build.  

Apart from condensation, another concern (valid?) is noise on the tin roof when raining. I researched a lot into the usual £££ hut makers (Plankbridge, Blackdown etc.) to look at their construction and also asked them about noise and they've said it's not a factor... I'm thinking of putting a bit more insulation into the roof to counter that. 

Hi. Don't know what your situation is re: build route, but you should consider whether a 'side project' is really going to be a realistic option if you're going to be anything like hands-on through the build.  If you need it fully plumbed and wired, then +1 for the static caravan option.  Live in it for the duration of the build, then sell it to finance your dream shepherds hut if it's still on your wish list!

Fair point @Roundtuitbut our main build won't be starting until end of this year. We won't be doing all the work ourselves but will be sourcing materials. We live 100 miles from the site so the hut will actually be for us to stay in each time we are on site to save on hotel costs. Thought it's also a good opportunity to get to grips with a mini build. ?

Ok, you've got a bit of planning time then!  If it's just for short duration site visits (assuming you have some services on site), then anything better than a tent is a bonus. My view would be to keep it simple, ventilate well, and light the wood burner when it's chilly.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, janelondon said:

What size hut are you going for and how are you planning to build? 

Not got that far yet but I have already bought a set of cast iron wheels, probably all timber and not too big as we don’t need to sleep in it, just a garden room on wheels with character. With our site I bought an old static to live in (on my own as er indoors still working 130 miles away) .

On 06/05/2019 at 16:38, nod said:

Quite a few on here have lived in static caravans 

Might be a bit more comfy than a shed 

90mm of Frametherm sounds a lot more comfy than a static.

2.4 × 2.4 × 6 box has area 70m². 90 mm of 0.035 W/m·K material has a U-value of 0.39 W/m²·K so the heat loss coefficient would be 70 × 0.39 = 27.3 W/K so for just freezing outside, 20 °C inside that'd be 546 W plus a bit for ventilation heat losses. Assuming mains is available that really shouldn't be a problem for ocassional use.

Edited by Ed Davies
90m of Frametherm → 90mm. 90m would, indeed, be comfy.
  • Like 2

We put a 4KW WBS in out static and that was okay over winter but you do need to keep it going.  Keeping up the wood supply was a bit of a challenge and we burned coal overnight as that would just about stay in over night.

Ha, just noticed that I said above I was going to put the Shepard’s hut in the “meadow” currently it’s a muddy morass due to years of neglect from the previous tenant, WE have discussed OUR  plans to turn it into a pleasant meadow to compliment the cottage that I have just built.

Ratty.