Virtual Reality

Hello

I’ve recently been watching the new TV show on BBC ‘Your Home Made Perfect’ and was really impressed by the VR aspect.

I wondered if anyone has used an architect company that’s using VR to help with the visualization of the end result? And if so would you recommend?

We have submitted our plans for planning permission and before we start the build i’d be really keen to get an idea of the physical space internally to make sure we’ve covered everything.

thanks in advance

Chloe

Not really VR, but our architect uses a programme called BimX which allows you to fly around the building (once you get the hang of controlling it!) and get different internal & external views. I have an old iPad & it even works on that. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

It would be really useful if someone did an on line 3d print service for house models from autocad.

Funnily enough I was thinking about this earlier today.  I was looking at a 3D print of a mountain range and thinking that it should be relatively easy to convert a topographic plan plus a house design into a 3D model that could be printed.

39 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Funnily enough I was thinking about this earlier today.  I was looking at a 3D print of a mountain range and thinking that it should be relatively easy to convert a topographic plan plus a house design into a 3D model that could be printed.

I might have thought rent a LIDAR for that - it seems to be what the Archaeological TV programmes use now for their Whizz-Bang element , and should be relatively cheap.

I like the 3d presentation of the stairs, though (on the subject of 3d visualisations) I see that Richard of Northampton had one of his head displayed in the Norwich Museum. I hope you are better now, after all those years in that car park :ph34r:.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I might have thought rent a LIDAR for that - it seems to be what the Archaeological TV programmes use now for their Whizz-Bang element , and should be relatively cheap.

Ferdinand

LIDAR data is available from DEFRA to 250mm resolution: https://data.gov.uk/dataset/8b007edd-a886-44ca-9fa0-2ee2efc1248d/lidar-composite-dsm-25cm

I played with walk throughs a bit in SketchUp for early versions of my house design. I can't say I found them terribly useful and I didn't bother by the time I was converging on the final design. Maybe if you're trying to understand somebody else's design it would be more useful. Dunno.

3D modelling of construction aspects, on the other hand, was very useful to make sure I understood the structural engineer's drawings.