A proper toilet?

puntloos

Is there such a thing as a Ferguson?

Slightly more seriously: I want toilets that:

- Self-clean

• a flush should hit every nook and cranny
  • matter should not have a chance to stick, so it should not hit any dry area

- Refill quickly

• not sure if this is 'up to' the toilet, or it's just a matter of a good water line

- Are as water efficient as possible

• Happy to have a partial and a full flush

.. and happy to hear other things to look out for

For one I have the impression that the American system, where there's a considerable amount of water in the bowl at all times, and a flush pulls all the water out of the bowl is the better approach than the UK one with the small hole. And for example the American Standard Siphonic takes between 3.5 and 6 liters  which is fairly reasonable I think?

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.e23279e3058eb089e8a511c67312f5ea.jpg

21 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'd change your diet mate! ?

Ha ;)

Perhaps. I guess dirty toilets are a pet peeve of mine, but getting the brush out, or having to re-flush because there's still some paper left sucks. If I can avoid 95% of this stuff by spending a few more quid up front it might just be worth it.

I was in Bathstore the other day, and he was waxing lyrical about "water entry holes all the way round the rim".

Or phone up McDonalds and see who they use?

4 hours ago, puntloos said:

Perhaps. I guess dirty toilets are a pet peeve of mine, but getting the brush out, or having to re-flush because there's still some paper left sucks. If I can avoid 95% of this stuff by spending a few more quid up front it might just be worth it.

Very Hitchhiker, but there it was a Dirty Telephone that killed us off.

Try Megabad - I once had a *huge* lecture from a German housemate on this subject, including a thorough examination of the insufficiently cleansed loo.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

21 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

[...]

I once had a *huge* lecture from a German housemate on this subject, including a thorough examination of the insufficiently cleansed loo.

[...]

And why am I not surprised? 

This design was common in Germany when I was a kid : less so now.  

german-toilet-768x512.jpeg.9aadca72853d73613b0fd50700b6bbcd.jpeg

No matter what your reaction to the design is - it does make you clean the bowl.

As an aside, I had German relatives ask me in all seriousness how to use a UK design loo  without getting a wet bum. The design  nickname was Splash Loo  (Plumpsklo). 

I took great delight in telling them that - to keep their bums dry - they had to sit facing the wall and aid the straining process  by holding the downpipe with both hands. I explained (lied) that  high level cisterns were provided for that very purpose ; I offered to fit a spare bike handlebar to the downpipe as a 'training device'. (Ubungsgerat)

Yes, the inevitable happened.

One relative completely missed the pan.God, I was in bad odour for a while.

I'm almost sure my mum stopped my pocket money for a while after that incident.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is also the possibility of a Superloo from Japan / Korea?

Do these incorporate sensor controlled adjustable hydro-flo?

Or you could fit a Shattaf (bidet shower) to your loo, which would give you a tool for a long-range loo post-clean. They are used by half the world.

Waldorf_Astoria_NY_bidet_shower.jpg

(New York Waldorf)

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

There is also the possibility of a Superloo from Japan / Korea?

Do these incorporate sensor controlled adjustable hydro-flo?

Or you could fit a Shattaf (bidet shower) to your loo, which would give you a tool for a long-range loo post-clean. They are used by half the world.

Waldorf_Astoria_NY_bidet_shower.jpg

(New York Waldorf)

Ferdinand

Or make the shower hose long enough to reach...

:ph34r:

I have a German pan though not with the "inspection shelf". It's a Bernstein and the wc frame within the wall is Geberit. Pan is now £195 delivered.

3 videos:

Soft close:

20190208_212059

Number 1 flush:

20190206_205331

I've not yet tried it "for real" with a proper, big number zwei, seems quite a good flush? Not adjusted any flush rates all settings just straight out of the box:

20190206_205415

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Or make the shower hose long enough to reach...

:ph34r:

Would need to be an adjustable shower head with a jet function and it’s still not as effective. The bum shower/shitoff is more efficient at cleaning.

The shower head is still great for washing away shaving hair down the basin though (we have a tiny bathroom).

Dirty loos - yuk. I shouted at one of the plumbing crew last week after the portaloo was left in an unacceptably filthy state. It was cleaned very promptly and not by me, but just who did they think was going to clean it, if not themselves?!

Anyhow, I've chosen rimless toilets for the new place - fewer hiding places and easier to clean.

Edited by vivienz
Sp.

5 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Dirty loos - yuk. I shouted at one of the plumbing crew last week after the portaloo was left in an unacceptably filthy state. It was cleaned very promptly and not by me, but just who did they think was going to clean it, if not themselves?!

The male toilets at work are apparently disgusting. From the tales I’ve heard (no aim, no attempt to clean up, lack of hand washing etc) if toilets become gender neutral I am retiring!! I’m surprised that the cleaners don’t refuse to clean them. 

• Haha 1

Yup, inspection shelf toilet at my parents' place (netherlands). Still there. 

Only solution is to apply toilet paper to the bowl before you do your thing.

So what 'pan style' is best? Is anyone with me on the theory that a large pool of water is helpful, and the inspection shelf is not?

I've noticed that the Japanese Toto ultramax II  has all these, and there is actually an UK company - CPHart - that stocks toto (but not the UMII.. yet?) 

18 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Yup, inspection shelf toilet at my parents' place (netherlands). Still there. 

Only solution is to apply toilet paper to the bowl before you do your thing.

So what 'pan style' is best? Is anyone with me on the theory that a large pool of water is helpful, and the inspection shelf is not?

I've noticed that the Japanese Toto ultramax II  has all these, and there is actually an UK company - CPHart - that stocks toto (but not the UMII.. yet?) 

I found the more complex Japanese toilets mind-numbingly complex to use, especially when they didn't have an English translation for all the controls.  I did like the washing feature though, although I can't say I ever got used to the blast of air from the drying function.  The other things that was less than ideal in the middle of the night was the little tunes some of them play.  Apparently the idea is to mask any embarrassing noises.  Frankly I'm inclined to think that having music coming from the toilet was more embarrassing.

The large pool of water is a mixed blessing, in my view.  It helps keep the pan clean, but increases the problem of splashing, so works best if a "everyone has to sit down to pee" policy is enforced.  We've found that a D shaped toilet (European style) with a near-vertical rear internal face, seems to be self-cleaning to some degree, certainly better than a standard UK style pan.

Best feature by far is to just add a shattaf spray.  Not only is it a lot more hygenic, but it also works well to clean the pan if need be.  I'm a great fan of these things, and cannot understand the British obsession with using loads of toilet paper.

I travel all the time to America for work. Our toilets work much better I find as their's don't send the flush water down fast enough.

We have Porcelanosa toilets with their matching Noken hidden cisterns 6/3l flush. As far as I can see they are identical to Grohe/Geberit concealed cisterns.

They send the water down much faster than the toilets in our previous house so are much better at cleaning out the pan. I do not know if this is due to the in wall cisterns being higher above the WC or them being set to take the maximum amount of water before they overflow.

As an aside the half flush to save water I find pointless as often it doesn't flush properly then needs flushed multiple times so ends up actually using more water.

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I found the more complex Japanese toilets mind-numbingly complex to use, especially when they didn't have an English translation for all the controls.  I did like the washing feature though, although I can't say I ever got used to the blast of air from the drying function.  The other things that was less than ideal in the middle of the night was the little tunes some of them play.  Apparently the idea is to mask any embarrassing noises.  Frankly I'm inclined to think that having music coming from the toilet was more embarrassing.

The large pool of water is a mixed blessing, in my view.  It helps keep the pan clean, but increases the problem of splashing, so works best if a "everyone has to sit down to pee" policy is enforced.  We've found that a D shaped toilet (European style) with a near-vertical rear internal face, seems to be self-cleaning to some degree, certainly better than a standard UK style pan.

Best feature by far is to just add a shattaf spray.  Not only is it a lot more hygenic, but it also works well to clean the pan if need be.  I'm a great fan of these things, and cannot understand the British obsession with using loads of toilet paper.

Ha, to be clear I'm not really into "cleansing wands" and all these other gizmos - I know the Japanese have a tendency to over-engineer their stuff =)

True about the possible splash with the water level, although just laying down a sheet of paper on the water would fix it.. (mostly)

Hmm. good point about Shattaf being able to clear the pan. That said, err, have to ask: who/what cleans the shattaf if it gets... shattaffed on?

1 minute ago, AliG said:

I travel all the time to America for work. Our toilets work much better I find as their's don't send the flush water down fast enough.

Perhaps I misunderstand but the american ones are hoping/assuming the waste is in the 'water bowl' and pretty much no force is necessary.

But indeed if something is outside the bowl, the flow to clear that up is very weak.. 

1 minute ago, AliG said:

We have Porcelanosa toilets with their matching Noken hidden cisterns 6/3l flush. As far as I can see they are identical to Grohe/Geberit concealed cisterns.

They send the water down much faster than the toilets in our previous house so are much better at cleaning out the pan. I do not know if this is due to the in wall cisterns being higher above the WC or them being set to take the maximum amount of water before they overflow.

As an aside the half flush to save water I find pointless as often it doesn't flush properly then needs flushed multiple times so ends up actually using more water.

Yup, although surely the half flush can be configured properly to be say 3/4 and save a little without the risk of leftovers?

10 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Hmm. good point about Shattaf being able to clear the pan. That said, err, have to ask: who/what cleans the shattaf if it gets... shattaffed on?

In that case you will be cleaning the walls, not just the Shattaf.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

In that case you will be cleaning the walls, not just the Shattaf.

It happens. :)  But I was more thinking about indeed slightly unclean water (from usage, obv.) falling on the shattaf..  I know I'm a bit 'on the spectrum' of being a germaphobe but still, having others use my toilet.. eh..

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'll have a large doner if you like tonight then video how effective the Geberit/Bernstein combo is at shifting the results...

I can't believe you still haven't used the loo (a decade in the making ....) for a number 2! :D?

34 minutes ago, newhome said:

I can't believe you still haven't used the loo (a decade in the making ....) for a number 2! :D?

Until it's 100% finished I find myself somewhat anally retentive whilst in there. Not to say I haven't thought about it but I get cold feet. Maybe when the UFH is up and running...

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Until it's 100% finished I find myself somewhat anally retentive whilst in there. Not to say I haven't thought about it but I get cold feet. Maybe when the UFH is up and running...

Perhaps a strong coffee and a cigarette tomorrow morning, following tonight's kebab, will allay any scruples and see it properly christened.

48 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Perhaps a strong coffee and a cigarette tomorrow morning, following tonight's kebab, will allay any scruples and see it properly christened.

Don't drink coffee or smoke...body's a temple etc.

;)