Steel stud

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

As a DIYer would you go for this again in preference to timber studs?

Might be an option for me when I do the lounge / diner knock through. Was going to go timber but seeing this makes me think otherwise.

What's the cost like vs timber?

Yeah I think I would .

As I said the rest of the basement will be done the correct way I.e with top and bottom track . I’m sure there are different systems - which adds to the confusion.

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

only thing I  would not be happy with is the steel studs on the wet side of the membrane,they will corroded in time if its damp 

Steels on the dry side 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

@pocster, sorry if being dense, why the OSB? Thought you would just screw pb on?

I could . But we have some leaks as you know . Also ufh manifold , uvc tank all going in this corner . Rather the guys fixed to my osb than drill through the membrane . They also requested this be done .

wont pb this corner , no point , will ultimately be in a cupboard 

On the rest of the house underground think I would still do osb , with pb ontop - just feels more robust .

Edited by pocster

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Doing the returns 

Track now around the correct way . Improvised again for fixings !

Bit like mechano this stuff 

BA25D516-A9D7-475C-958A-4860EEB58E40.jpeg

does not  look like it  in this picture 

I see wall -stud  then membrane  then stud again  in corner--must be a trick of the camera

looks like it is over the outer stud .LOL

ignore me 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Big Neil said:

is it all interchangeable, in much the same way as 2X4 is 2X4. Is all steel studwork the same mr @nod. Where is the best place to get it?

All gypliner is interchangeable 

BG the best But there is a cheaper version Not as good to use but does the same job 

Most of mine comes from Sheffield insulation or 

Encon 

Quite a few merchants stock the basic 50 & 70 mil stud and some of the basic cieling stuff 

20 minutes ago, nod said:

All gypliner is interchangeable 

BG the best But there is a cheaper version Not as good to use but does the same job 

Most of mine comes from Sheffield insulation or 

Encon 

Quite a few merchants stock the basic 50 & 70 mil stud and some of the basic cieling stuff 

I'm probably misunderstanding, but Gypliner is the brand name for a steel stud system yes, BG being the producer?  So BG Gypliner? Also, when we talk about 50mil in this context we mean in the same dimension as the 2 inch of a 2X4 timber yes? where the perpendicular face is 100mm?

1 hour ago, Big Neil said:

I'm probably misunderstanding, but Gypliner is the brand name for a steel stud system yes, BG being the producer?  So BG Gypliner? Also, when we talk about 50mil in this context we mean in the same dimension as the 2 inch of a 2X4 timber yes? where the perpendicular face is 100mm?

I do t think they are truly interchangeable.

After all some can ‘face’ you some aren’t meant to !!! 

3 hours ago, Big Neil said:

Sorry 

Framer talk 

Gypliner tends to be BG

50 & 70 are the most common studs used on houses 

Pipework in minus stop tap ; they posted the wrong size ?

Perimeter drain going in . The ‘rodding ‘ holes are a bit pants . They sit in the drain so literally will be in the stud frame . Can’t worry about that for now - have to make a nice access hatch I guess .

BE8786B2-4569-44C9-9E83-F6D552057D5B.jpeg

E6160197-1A03-4489-88CA-5C072790F40F.jpeg

DC8E4ECA-504D-46EE-9596-BC500BDFF211.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Oh ok I think I’m confusing it with the insulation you put down and push the pipes into the grooves

i think you wanted it for drainage issues didn’t you. 

Don’t cause unnecessary concerns otherwise you owe me wine ? ?

Edited by pocster