Steel stud

Not sure I like this system. But then that’s probably more because it’s new too me .

Theres no horizontal base track because ufh and screed needs to be done . Only doing this wall without track just so Uvc and ufh manifold have somewhere to go . So a bit experimental .

947064D7-D682-4E07-9449-F41A7F34F545.jpeg

Right !

i see a problem , these glypliner brackets aren’t meant to be used with this stud I don’t think .

Let me twist the vertical to face - this must be wrong as otherwise the utility holes are pointless .

photo of it wrong ?

F122CDE5-B6F1-4FEB-890B-31F000D85E4A.jpeg

1 minute ago, Big Neil said:

What little googling i've done shows it about the same price as timber. Is that anything close to correct?

I think it’s meant to be cheaper .

i got 10 3.4m lengths of vertical for about £36 . I just used the nearest builders merchants as I need this done now .

9 minutes ago, pocster said:

I think it’s meant to be cheaper .

Right. SO...if it's cheaper per length and if, as a couple of youtubeos i've watched suggest, noggins aren't required (although I imagine could still be added if required), why isn't everyone using it?

12 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

Right. SO...if it's cheaper per length and if, as a couple of youtubeos i've watched suggest, noggins aren't required (although I imagine could still be added if required), why isn't everyone using it?

Lol

No idea .

The only reason i’m Using it is I’m in a basement with damp - so don’t fancy timber . I think if skilled ? , it would be quicker . Also you know a length is straight unlike timber .

right - well unless mr @nod - who i believe uses this during the course of his normal daily life, comes up with a pretty good reason not to use it. I'm sold. there must be something i'm overlooking as otherwise surely everyone would use it, at least in respect of the mass market producers anyway.....no sod it, anyone!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

right - well unless mr @nod - who i believe uses this during the course of his normal daily life, comes up with a pretty good reason not to use it. I'm sold. there must be something i'm overlooking as otherwise surely everyone would use it, at least in respect of the mass market producers anyway.....no sod it, anyone!!

I guess it’s like timber frame houses .

its only relatively recently done here ; most of us do it that way . But in the US Florida , practically every build has been done like that for decades .

@Big Neil If my retarded efforts haven’t put you off then the system must be fu*king brilliant !

Edited by pocster

I love a good bit of retarding of an afternoon. I'll PM you my Wife's number shortly, she can make you feel better about your relative level of retardedness....

And for the avoidance of doubt, i'm the retard - not the wife..I just meant she could confirm it..

Edited by Big Neil
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

cos builders don,t like to have to learn new skills 

when i went to jewsons  here and asked for gyproc studding they looked at me like I WAS TALKING IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE 

they had to get out the gyproc "white book" to know what to order ,

no builder had ever used it here .

and when i was doing it in the showroom a couple of local joiners came in and asked what it was.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

First piece of osb up .

Using short sharp screws to hold osb to steel . Very boring to do !

Can I use a collating gun and dry wall screws for this ? Or is that a big no ???

056834D4-7C03-4D65-8836-7167E0EEA8AA.jpeg

that is what gyproc specified to me

don,t know if they changed-so yes thats what i used and its still up 10years later and thats 3 layers on each side

Edited by scottishjohn

5 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

that is what gyproc specified to me

don,t know if they changed-so yes thats what i used and its still up 10years later and thats 3 layers on each side

Drywall screws ok for mounting the osb ??? - just double checking ! 

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Drywall screws ok for mounting the osb ??? - just double checking ! 

only worry would be they grip in the osb better than drywall and don,t pull board up tight  and strip in the metal  stud.

pre drilling would be a pain but a solution 

try a few  first on a scrap bit of stud +board

maybe dwell a little when you go through osb,so it takes the grip  off the board on the screw ,before pushing hard to go into stud ,then that should work 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Thanks 1

I don't get what you have done here.  When I have seen this the membrane is fixed to the wall with properly watertight fixings, then the u=channel is fixed ceiling and floor with a small gap to the membrane and the I studs are located in the channel and fixed with the stubby fat head screws.

You can't just screw through the membrane as it needs to be completely sealed.  The idea is you build an independent wall on the dry side of the membrane using u track and I studs.

Is there a perimeter drain, sump and pump to be included?

15 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I don't get what you have done here.  When I have seen this the membrane is fixed to the wall with properly watertight fixings, then the u=channel is fixed ceiling and floor with a small gap to the membrane and the I studs are located in the channel and fixed with the stubby fat head screws.

You can't just screw through the membrane as it needs to be completely sealed.  The idea is you build an independent wall on the dry side of the membrane using u track and I studs.

Is there a perimeter drain, sump and pump to be included?

The steel on its own just in horizontal channels doesn’t feel particularly sturdy . The membrane has special plugs . You drill through the membrane and put these water tight plugs in . You can then screw into the plug ( without piercing the membrane) for a water tight system .

heres the plugs so it makes sense ?

https://www.permagard.co.uk/p-seal-quick-plugs

yes perimeter drain and sump 

Edited by pocster

20 minutes ago, pocster said:

The steel on its own just in horizontal channels doesn’t feel particularly sturdy . The membrane has special plugs . You drill through the membrane and put these water tight plugs in . You can then screw into the plug ( without piercing the membrane) for a water tight system .

heres the plugs so it makes sense ?

https://www.permagard.co.uk/p-seal-quick-plugs

yes perimeter drain and sump 

It looks like you have used C studs and have them 90 degrees the wrong way round

26 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

It looks like you have used C studs and have them 90 degrees the wrong way round

Well this is what confused me !

it I rotate them ( like in an earlier photo ) the glyplier bracket can only attach to 1 side which is wrong .

This way does appear stable ....

I’ve improvised due to lack base channel and confusion!!

Still prefer to have the glypliner brackets just need the correct system! . Was using track I had lying around . Guess there are different systems.....

I only need another 10 verticals which I've order from local builder merchants. As it would seem there are different systems it will be interesting too see what turns up!

Edited by pocster