Sand calculator

nod

I’ve 330 mtrs of block paving 

to lay 

I need to get everything around the back of the house so as not to be driving lorry’s over newly laid paving 

My problem is estimating the screedind sand for this area at 40 mil thick

Has anyone a calculator 

One of these might help

http://www.pavingexpert.com/calcall.htm

However, I make it 8m2 per bulk bag at 50mm deep which is approx 10m2 at 40mm, so that gives the quantity ish of bulk bags.

On driving over pavers, is it possible to do something really simple like start at the other end? Alternative might be to get 90% of sand, and accept barrowing the rest .. or have project B waiting for any leftovers.

Ferdinanf

• Thanks 1

I would  dry mix the sand at about 8-1 with cement if you have a mixer 

then the moisture from the ground will set it over the next day or so  and it won,t move about once they are laid

2 bulk bags of sand should be more than enough  for 330sqm of pavoirs -should not take you more than 2hrs to barrow round the back,usually there will only be about 0.75cu m in a bag

when i did mine the wife who was 60 and only 5ft + 9stone at the time ,was barrowing it round for me,when i was a work , cos truck would only hi-ab it over the wall

and she wasn,t shy at barrowing the pavoirs to me  either,not as many as i would put in ,but still got done  ,no need for  fitness club   membership --.lol

so its not that hard    --lay a plank on your compacted hardcore -and off you go 

with 330sq m to do you wont, do it in a day , so when you come to a stop just cut off any sand poking out so you not  got a hard bit of sand at edges for next session 

and most important   DO NOT walk on it  anywhere close to the edge you are laying it will move. 4 blocks back  and do not kneel on the laid part  to lay next rows,unless its set  --it will move

tempting I know --just go round and use planks over it until you got your edges finished . edges last -so all the fiddly  cutting is at same time.

mix the blocks from different pallets as there is usually a slight colour variation ,which you won,t see till its all laid 

.I know you think I,m treating you like an idiot ,but i,ve made all the mistakes  take what you like from this ignore the rest  no problem 

If there is a downside to mixing cement with it it is that water  will not drain through it --so you need to make a run on it or you will get puddles .

I would suggest you set up a string line to get your run correct to your drains ,might not be as flat as you think   or it could  look like a tesco car park  in a year or so 

using sand alone it nearly always sinks over time , and or the ants dig it out to make a nest and then it sinks .

big car parks,petrol stations  and things they lay concrete first and then use a much thinner layer of sand before the blocks 

hope this helps  

Edited by scottishjohn

Why on earth are you talking in bulk bags, have you been drinking de icer, 

get a wagon load direct from the quarry. 

I would start with two ten tonne loads, ten tonne truck is a lot smaller than an eight wheeler, but you know that sort of stuff @nod

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would start with two ten tonne loads, ten tonne truck is a lot smaller than an eight wheeler, but you know that sort of stuff @nod

and a hell of a lot cheaper

I refer my Honourable Friend (and all the other Honourable Friends) to the calculator I mentioned some time ago ?.

Yes... by the lorry.

It was me started on bulk bags, as I happened to have the numbers in my head.

Edited by Ferdinand

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Thanks I’ve 20 ton booked