Roof construction help

23 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Here's a simplified pic of the single storey roof. It joins the house on the right hand side. I do have 2 Dutch gables, so not sure how they would work to support a beam. Also I think the issue would be where the roof joins at an angle (the 30 odd degree one).

Who would design a cut roof?

Single storey roof.JPG

What has the SEng said about steels in this..? And where are the internal walls as that will dictate what’s feasible.  

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

You're near me aren't you @Vijay? Try Harlows or Donaldsons. They would usually design based on providing the timber. Who's doing your main roof?

Scrap that just seen location as london!

Sorry, just changed my location to Northampton as that's my site.

So it would still be the roof supplier who designs it, as long as they sell you the timbers? I know Donaldsons can't do attic trusses with posi joist floors, waiting on Harlow to reply.

Main roof will be attic trusses supplied by a one of the truss companies

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

What has the SEng said about steels in this..? And where are the internal walls as that will dictate what’s feasible.  

Not asked the SE as they have been beyond useless. I would want to get a new SE if I went down the route of steels in the roof.

Only one load bearing ICF wall which is the blue line. There are 2 other internal walls there but not load bearing

Single storey roof wall.jpg

Your architect really did hate you ....

The dog leg is a fairly simple roof but does it need to open up to the rafters as there are roof lights ..? If so, then you’re going to need an asymmetric steel frame on the corner angle as you need to support the ridge as the rafters will have to hang off them. 

The garage would be simply done with a steel A frame at each end of the roof where the vertical panels are, and connect these with steel purlins to support the rafters. Nice and tidy and makes the framing out pretty simple. 

Without that, you will need to use ceiling level ties, or at least collar ties, to stop the roof spreading. 

Oh, and a 45 degree roof would be ideal - why did he decide 44 degree was suitable ..??!!

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

lol why do you say that

Because that roof design is a pig..!! Why the Dutch barn roof for example ..?? 

The roof lights aren’t helping, they are quite high in the pitch so would mean that purlins would get in the way and a collar tie truss would possibly mean they’d need to be lower in the roof plane. 

Do the angled rooms rooms really need 4.5m high ceilings ..?? 

• Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 10:52, AliG said:

As you have a VCL and breathable membrane and tiles on battens I do not believe that the 50mm ventilation gap is necessary, but I would ask whoever wrote the spec.

Just been through this with Kingspan and Quinntherm with the same roof make up. 50mm ventilation is a must - which is why I now have insulation under the rafters too as I could not fit it all in-between them - mind you, it's better as it removes cold bridging!

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Because that roof design is a pig..!! Why the Dutch barn roof for example ..?? 

The roof lights aren’t helping, they are quite high in the pitch so would mean that purlins would get in the way and a collar tie truss would possibly mean they’d need to be lower in the roof plane. 

Do the angled rooms rooms really need 4.5m high ceilings ..?? 

To be fair the dutch gables are a planning thing and the other houses incorporated them too in initial designs.

I just assumed the roof lights are good for room in roof height and fire escapes?

I'd say the room heights are to give as much habitable room as I want the potential for a self contained flat one day if needed

5 minutes ago, Vijay said:

To be fair the dutch gables are a planning thing and the other houses incorporated them too in initial designs.

I just assumed the roof lights are good for room in roof height and fire escapes?

I'd say the room heights are to give as much habitable room as I want the potential for a self contained flat one day if needed

Ok so this is all room in roof ..?? Even the garage ..?? If so, do the lot with attic trusses as it will be quicker and simpler. I thought when you asked for cut roof design that you were expecting this to be open to the rafters.