Can I just share my fossils?

So, after seeing another job that our joiner had done (with a much larger budget than us....), we fell in love with Jura grey limestone and decided to use it for all our bathroom walls and floors. They were pricey (although not crazy money) and have been an absolute bugger to seal, cut and fix, but they are absolutely riddled with 150 million year old fossils. They are STUNNING and the tiler has done them proud. The one that looks like a dinosaur is my son's favourite (he is dino mad) and was placed specifically in front of the toilet for admiring. The other special ones are on shower walls, windowsills and bath surrounds. 

My son also found one that looks like a poo, which is the best thing that has happened in the whole of his 6 year old life. It's in the shower at his height for him to show off to his friends. 

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ralph said:

I think my tiling budget has just gone up, I really like them.

Lol, sorry! Blame my joiner :( The thing I like the best about them (apart from the embarrassingly small fossils) is that they are much more of a grey colour than the really creamy/browny limestone. Everything else in our house is much more on the grey end of things, so they fit really well. They are also much harder than regular limestone, so hopefully should stand up to a bit more abuse. The price of the sealer is the worst bit! £175 for a tin!! Nearly fainted. They worked out at £36.90/sqm but you can get them cheaper than that if you can deal with random lengths? We wanted the 600x400 so it was bit more. They are incredibly varied in colour though - some are very pale and others are nearly black with mineral deposits. We like that look, but not everyone does. 

43 minutes ago, divorcingjack said:

super cool @Onoff! Where did you find that?! 

Part of SWMBO's late cousin's collection given to us. My lad is quite into the whole fossil/geology thing.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3T5wq4

Tbh my favourite is, I think a tribolite, we found in our garden cracking a flint open after my brother suggested it held something good. Will try and find it.

@pocster was trying to sell me his windows so I could recreate the Natural History Museum and display them behind lit glass panels! :)

I'm loving/ intrigued by your tiles, do you buy them like that? 

22 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Part of SWMBO's late cousin's collection given to us. My lad is quite into the whole fossil/geology thing.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3T5wq4

Tbh my favourite is, I think a tribolite, we found in our garden cracking a flint open after my brother suggested it held something good. Will try and find it.

@pocster was trying to sell me his windows so I could recreate the Natural History Museum and display them behind lit glass panels! :)

I'm loving/ intrigued by your tiles, do you buy them like that? 

And you are going to display them under some walk on glazing yes?

Edited by pocster

34 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

@Onoff, those photos remind me a bit of Crocodile Dundee: "That's not a fossil, THIS is a FOSSIL" ...

I was going to open with a Paul Hogan pic...got side tracked by Linda Kozlowski...

1 hour ago, divorcingjack said:

Lol, sorry! Blame my joiner :( The thing I like the best about them (apart from the embarrassingly small fossils) is that they are much more of a grey colour than the really creamy/browny limestone. Everything else in our house is much more on the grey end of things, so they fit really well. They are also much harder than regular limestone, so hopefully should stand up to a bit more abuse. The price of the sealer is the worst bit! £175 for a tin!! Nearly fainted. They worked out at £36.90/sqm but you can get them cheaper than that if you can deal with random lengths? We wanted the 600x400 so it was bit more. They are incredibly varied in colour though - some are very pale and others are nearly black with mineral deposits. We like that look, but not everyone does. 

Yes the colour does look nice, I've just ordered a sample to have a proper look. Jesus that's pricey for sealer!  

• 2 weeks later...