Split PV System

Conor

I'm struggling to find a way to get a ~4KWp system on our south facing roof - we have a partial dormer cutting in to the roof and a projection for our master bedroom. I can fiddle around and squeeze in a couple extra panels to either side of the dormer or on either the east or west facing roofs on the bedroom projection. But even then it's barely 4KWp and its far from optimal with partial shading on some of the panels. From my understanding it can be problematic if you have an array with some panels in shade at different times of the day? Plus I want to use an in-roof system and doing anything other than a simple rectangle seems more difficult and expensive. Planning have also expressed concerns about visibility of panels on the Eastern roof and may stipulate that we dont have any panels here (still waiting on decision - we're in a conservation area)

So, considering that, I think it's best to just have 8 panels on the main roof - should be unshaded all day except early morning. And then I can have at least 10 panels on the garage roof. Would need to rotate the roof ridge on the design but I can't see that being an issue with planning. 

Can I still use the one inverter setup or does this type of array require more gizmos?

image.thumb.png.a26b9de073fa85b48fb40d7989cfae0b.png

36 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I wonder, can you place any panels on the flat roof at the top of the (huge) dormer, angled in frames? They may not shade the ones on the roof above.

I had considered that... the flat roof area is about 2mx6m. And I've considered "cantering" the panels over the edge to act as a brise soleil... though I think it'll be far from pretty, and will be visible from the road so I don't think planning will like it!

34 minutes ago, ProDave said:

How about ALL the panels on both sides of the garage roof as an E / W split.  A LOT easier to get to should you have to do any maintenance,

Unfortunately they'd be shaded as there's a three story Victorian townhouse to the West. And we have to plant trees on that side as well that will eventually add more shading. 

Thinking about it, the ground directly behind the garage will slope down a metre or so to the finished patio level.. I could possibly fit a set of ground mounted panels here. That would be another 5 which would bring me to 15 south facing panels, 4.5KWp, which would do the job.

Edited by Conor

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, willbish said:

What arrangement did you go with in the end @Conor?

Ive got an E/W split and looking at equipment options for a split array.

Still waiting on planning permission so no further! I'm now leaning towards a 2-3kw system with battery storage. I can get 3kw on the roof. I think with our low accupancy (we both travel for work), balanced storage makes more sense than absolute production.

• Like 1

I think you should get this, but need to be a bit judicious.

1 - Why not switch the roof on your garage by 90 degrees? 

2 - In terms of visibility of in roof panels being a problem (it isn't) ask to borrow some of Jeremy's photos. He had a conservation officer come back when he had his in-roof panels in situ, and remark how good it was that they hadn't been installed after all. They are *that* visible LOL.

3 - Solar panels are Class A permitted development on a roof in a conservation area if they are less than 0.2M from the roof surface. But if you say that your PD rights may suddenly vanish !

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/schedule/2/part/14/made

There should be enough routes there I would say.

F

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this. Looked in to mounting on the revised garage roof, however will will still have shading issues in morning and evening. The best solution seems to be pairs/blocks of PV panels on the various roofs.

I am using an insulated roof panel system that will then be counter battened slating. If I use the likes of a GE in roof mounting system, where would the micro inverters go? Can they go in behind each panel so to be accessed from outside for maintenance? In below the insulated roof is not an option.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Resurrecting this. Looked in to mounting on the revised garage roof, however will will still have shading issues in morning and evening. The best solution seems to be pairs/blocks of PV panels on the various roofs.

I am using an insulated roof panel system that will then be counter battened slating. If I use the likes of a GE in roof mounting system, where would the micro inverters go? Can they go in behind each panel so to be accessed from outside for maintenance? In below the insulated roof is not an option.

In theory there is space for a micro-inverter behind the GSE panel (the center section is cut out) and so you might get one in provided you had sufficient batten spacing to allow mounting between (with the lugs of the inverter screwed to the batten). 

My concern would be how hot they are going to get as there's not a huge level of ventilation behind them. Premature failure is likely to be a big issue. 

I've got one small array (on an outbuilding) using GSE which suffers from shading so I went for the micro inverters but they are below the insulation layer in the roof space.