Can you build block work on polished concrete?

MikeSharp01

My brother in law asked me a question I could not confidently answer today.  Tomorrow he is laying a garage floor that he wants to polish and was asking if he can polish right to the edge and build directly on it. Looks like it's structurally ok but not sure if cement will stuck to the polished floor.

19 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

My brother in law asked me a question I could not confidently answer today.  Tomorrow he is laying a garage floor that he wants to polish and was asking if he can polish right to the edge and build directly on it. Looks like it's structurally ok but not sure if cement will stuck to the polished floor.

Yes you can

Normally put a doc strip under the first block

My understanding, from having to read a book about structures, and why they don't fall down, is that the mortar is to stop lateral movement and to seal the gaps.  Gravity keeps the blocks in place.

Having said that, as it is a garage, a car will hit the wall sometime.  So maybe some mechanical fixing would help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Structures-Things-Dont-Fall-Down/dp/0306812835

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

As an old friend of mine was fond of quoting "gravity is what stops walls falling over" (his hobby was dry stone walling).

We have the stone stacking championships on the beach here ?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2018/apr/23/2018-european-stone-stacking-championship-in-pictures

CD0AE6F5-A88D-4EC0-9CB6-B52E0E3A79AB.jpeg

• Like 1