planning permission for a boat?

Ok ,here the scenario 

you own a lake 

and you can't get PP to build next to it 

so you have a house boat ?

as far as i know you don,t need PP for that ?

I know someone who bought a harbour ,but no PP for building a house on it .so it was suggested he moor a boat there instead?

the architect thought it would be hard to stop ,but them an said his wife wouldn,t go for it 

any idea if this   "floats "

I believe that residential moorings normally require planning consent, even on a privately owned lake.  The regulations may be different between Scotland and the rest of the UK though, so probably worth checking.  Here residential moorings seem to be treated in much the same way as a mobile home.  The key seems to revolve around the change of use of the land/lake/river/canal.  Change of use normally requires planning consent here.

My neighbour did just this with a house boat, big crane= boat in lake. 

He always laughs as he tells me of when the kids where growing up they would go to bed at one end of the lake and he would chug of down the other end and wake up in a different bit. 

He has recently done the same and just brought another narrow boat that he has moored up in a backwater. 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

My neighbour did just this with a house boat, big crane= boat in lake. 

He always laughs as he tells me of when the kids where growing up they would go to bed at one end of the lake and he would chug of down the other end and wake up in a different bit. 

He has recently done the same and just brought another narrow boat that he has moored up in a backwater. 

I,m guessing that was not in UK --not many lakes that big

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I believe that residential moorings normally require planning consent, even on a privately owned lake.  The regulations may be different between Scotland and the rest of the UK though, so probably worth checking.  Here residential moorings seem to be treated in much the same way as a mobile home.  The key seems to revolve around the change of use of the land/lake/river/canal.  Change of use normally requires planning consent here.

yes ,will be checking before anything is done --

not sure it would class as a change of use for the lake ?

9 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

yes ,will be checking before anything is done --

not sure it would class as a change of use for the lake ?

Probably change of use of the bank, as you would need parking space, services connections, access to the boat etc   Without that you might be able to live on the boat if you never get on or off it.

Yes, we've stayed there two or three times.  The lake's been transformed with thousands of trees and a handful of log cabins, all sat apart in their own secluded spots in the woods, at the edges of the lake, complete with their own hot tub, jetty and boat.  Great place to stay in mid-winter, too.

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Does the 28 day exemption apply to lakes?

I would expect it too, so you could split it into 13 different ownerships and move it every 4 weeks.

A bit extreme. 

(?)

Ferdinand

I wondered that. 13 landing stages around the lake each on a plot under different ownership.  

And spend Christmas day at anchor in the middle of the lake.

Some info here suggests you may need planning permission for "change of use"..

https://cornerstonebarristers.com/news/do-houseboats-need-planning-permission/

1) Following the Court of Appeal's decision in Thames Heliports Plc v London Borough of Tower Hamlets (1997) 74 P & CR 164, even where there is no physical connection between the boat and the riverbed, the use of the boat may amount to a material change of use from the ordinary and incidental use of the riverbed of the Thames, thus requiring planning permission (para.51).

Edited by Temp