Block wall on steel beams

Chablais

Hi 

After closing our site up in December due to the weather, we are trying to get back up and running. We have poured the raft foundation and built the retaining walls which also form the basement. There is a beam and block floor sat on top of the retaining walls. This forms a new kitchen floor, and also an outside terrace. Between them I need to start building a cavity wall with 150mm cavity off a pair of UC beams, which have carried some of the B+B concrete beams.  How can i reduce the thermal bridging, and also close the cavity? Could I bridge the cavity with some PIR and build off that, or is it likely to compress too much. The basement room below is a store/workshop.  The block wall is only two courses high to form an opening for a 2.6m wide sliding door onto the terrace.

5 hours ago, Chablais said:

Hi 

After closing our site up in December due to the weather, we are trying to get back up and running. We have poured the raft foundation and built the retaining walls which also form the basement. There is a beam and block floor sat on top of the retaining walls. This forms a new kitchen floor, and also an outside terrace. Between them I need to start building a cavity wall with 150mm cavity off a pair of UC beams, which have carried some of the B+B concrete beams.  How can i reduce the thermal bridging, and also close the cavity? Could I bridge the cavity with some PIR and build off that, or is it likely to compress too much. The basement room below is a store/workshop.  The block wall is only two courses high to form an opening for a 2.6m wide sliding door onto the terrace.

There are also these.  We used them on top of our slab to minimise thermal bridging

http://www.marmox.co.uk/products/thermoblock

Hi 

Thanks for the replies/advice, have ordered the Marmox blocks. Do I need to tie the wall to the beam? Also the Marmox block is only 65mm high, so I still need to come up with a solution for the floor edge, as the underfloor screed will be above the height of the Marmox block. Using 25mm of PIR as edge insulation seems like not enough. What do people do? Every day is a learning day at the moment, seem to spend as long in friont of the computer trying to learn as actually doing the build!