room & garage addon

Brinsey

Hi all first of all im a newby please be patient! im thinking of getting an extension done so thought i would see what other people have done/been through ect. As im new to all this i thought it would be a good idea to get experience from people who have done the leap first hand ... Im after changing this (see first image)  To this (second image) please excuse the stairs they return on a half landing. Any advice on price, materials etc more than welcome

New project 160902070922.png

New project 160830134200.png

Edited by Brinsey
update

I would be interested in seeing the upstairs floor plan. the downstairs doesn't look particularly big so I am guessing 2 bedrooms upstairs. Stair position looks a little odd so not a normal layout.

Also the plot layout would be interesting.

What I am getting at, is making the best of the plot. Would a 2 storey side extension make more sense to give more bedrooms, or a single storey scheme that could later have a second floor added if you need more bedrooms?

Is the extension set back because that's the only parking and the house is to close to the road to offer parking in front instead of alongside the house (plot layout would show that)

What's your budget and long term aims? is this a house for the long term, or just wanting to maximise it's potential and sell on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brinsey said:

Please bare with me

Now there's an offer  !

And I used to live just off Hampstead Heath and attend the bathing ponds (swimsuited). Though my interesting Hampstead intellectual landlord used to take cold showers in the altogether in the back yard on his return from a swim.

It may seem like a lot of questions, Brinsey, but they should help you find at least some aspects that you had not considered in detail.

For me, could you identify North - so I can see where the sun will be? Thanks and welcome.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

It took me a while to figure the satellite photo of the house is North Up, but the layout drawings are West Up.

I would move the front of the garage (and extension) about 1 metre towards the road. the reason being, the front wall of the extension would then line up with the dividing wall between the two first floor bedrooms. That would then leave the possibility to later add a second storey to the extension, and create a corridor through the back first floor bedroom to get to it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

What's your budget and long term aims? is this a house for the long term, or just wanting to maximise it's potential and sell on?

I was not to sure on budget TBH we are not thinking of moving anytime in the near future & we have 2 children aged 13 & 10 so its our family home. i was hoping that people may point me in the right direction for a ballpark figure

Cheers

Edited by jack
Combined quote and answer

As it stands, that looks to me like a 23-30k plus VAT extension, depending on where it is and excluding groundworks etc, minus what you do yourself.

Useful whatprice calculators here:

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/prices/

I could say detailed things like get the cloakroom door into the hall not not the kitchen, but I think you need to go back to your concept stage and decide what you actually need from your extension.

This gives you a dining area separate from the galley kitchen and a garage, to add to one reception room and three nice bedrooms. That sounds like the obvious thing to have done 30 years ago.

I'd suggest that for a family with teens now you actually want something more like:

1 - Social multiuse kitchen. Simply you could take out part of the wall and make the existing run of cupboards a peninsula.

2 - At least one extra reception room, or space, to be somewhere for your teens to be away and out of sight from parents, ideally where they can also leave things out. Do you want making-out or game-playing teenagers draped over your lounge sofa in a live demonstration of the nature documentary about bonobos you are watching? You probably could benefit from a separate alternative to bedrooms.

3 - Garage build to be a suitable games room / teen space for a few years / ganny flat for the future?

I'd also suggest that a larger one storey extension is more important than a 2 storey, as your current house is over balanced to bedrooms vs receptions (imo) - though you could do a 2 storey with teen-room / workroom / future studio upstairs.

I would be looking at enlarging the kitchen into the "link" area, coming forward more, and wrapping something around the back (could be a conservatory or sun room for morning/evening use as it gets E/W sun there), with that wall removed so it is no longer a galley.

But work from a list of the uses you will actually want, and then use that to build a use / budget table to help your thinking.

From the plan it feels (assuming to scale) that the house has a huge amount (20-25%) of floor space dedicated (wasted?) to circulation, but I cannot see easy ways to recover it (eg extend lounge to be up against the staircase) without knowing where the structural walls are.

Sorry for the candour, but I am about to go offline for a couple of weeks to chase kangaroos.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

I thought about knock down the wall and extend the lounge into entrance area. It would certainly give a much bigger lounge, but it goes against my personal hate of having stairs going up from a lounge. If that doesn't bother you, it's an easy way to gain a bigger lounge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I could say detailed things like get the cloakroom door into the hall not not the kitchen, but I think you need to go back to your concept stage and decide what you actually need from your extension

Some brilliant suggestions made & a big thank you for your detailed reply Ferdinand.

One problem i have and dont really fancy rectifying is the WC door opening accessed from the kitchen. Although not showing on the drawing i have submited the GAS meter is built into the wall to enter from the hallway & would cause no end of problems plus cost to remove or change!

I would of put the doorway there as its not really ideal of the kitchen but its a needs must TBH..

Wrong approach to reduce costs imo.

That looks like a mean version of the whole scheme, which knocks out the possibility of building a generous version of anything later.

Comparing to clothes, it is like having some money for Christmas, and some for your birthday later, and spending the Christmas money on a mid-range shirt and trousers, rather than buy a nice shirt now, and nice trousers later, and make do with your existing trousers in the interim. Which way you go depends on your ultimate and shorter term needs.

For phasing, you want a generous version of the first half now, so that you can still reach your ultimate goal later - and to have your phases identified first.

And you need to decide your objectives for living in it before putting pen to paper.

The process is:

1 - What do we need for our family life?

2 - What spaces do we need to allow that family life?

3 - What would that look like as a building?

4 - Can we afford it?

5 - if not, what must we have when as steps along the way?

6 - If the phases match, then continue, else go to 3 (or 2 or 1) and adjust.

7 - Build it.

You need a list for 1 or 2 first  :-)

Will have a little go with graph paper this evening perhaps.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand